Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Clausing Student 2500 / Harrison M300 question

I just purchased a Clausing Colchester Student 2500. Because of the
splash guard, the lathe takes up quite a bit of depth. I am trying to
determine whether there is a need for the splash guard to be as deep
as it is - considering modifying it in order to take up less space.

I don't have a taper attachment, but may get one in the future. Can
anyone tell me why the splash guard is as deep as it is and whether I
could reduce the depth some while still allowing room for a taper
attachment?

Thanks,
Scott Kelley

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Scott Kelley wrote:
I just purchased a Clausing Colchester Student 2500. Because of the
splash guard, the lathe takes up quite a bit of depth. I am trying to
determine whether there is a need for the splash guard to be as deep
as it is - considering modifying it in order to take up less space.

I don't have a taper attachment, but may get one in the future. Can
anyone tell me why the splash guard is as deep as it is and whether I
could reduce the depth some while still allowing room for a taper
attachment?

Thanks,
Scott Kelley

I can't help with the taper attachment fitting as I haven't got one but
I did cut the splash guard down on my M300 so it is only 8" deep in
order to reduce the space requirements. It hasn't caused any problems so
far in about 5 years.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:
Scott Kelley wrote:
I just purchased a Clausing Colchester Student 2500. Because of the
splash guard, the lathe takes up quite a bit of depth. I am trying to
determine whether there is a need for the splash guard to be as deep
as it is - considering modifying it in order to take up less space.

I don't have a taper attachment, but may get one in the future. Can
anyone tell me why the splash guard is as deep as it is and whether I
could reduce the depth some while still allowing room for a taper
attachment?

Thanks,
Scott Kelley

I can't help with the taper attachment fitting as I haven't got one
but I did cut the splash guard down on my M300 so it is only 8" deep
in order to reduce the space requirements. It hasn't caused any
problems so far in about 5 years.

Just to clarify the 8" deep dimension is the horizontal dimension of the
vertical splashback panel that extends back from the front face of
headstock. The distance from the back of the saddle to the splashback
is about 13.5". This is for a Harrison M300, I couldn't find a Clausing
Student 2500 on www.lalhes.co.uk .
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 5, 4:33*am, David Billington
wrote:
Scott Kelley wrote:
I just purchased a Clausing Colchester Student 2500. *Because of the
splash guard, the lathe takes up quite a bit of depth. *I am trying to
determine whether there is a need for the splash guard to be as deep
as it is - considering modifying it in order to take up less space.

I don't have a taper attachment, but may get one in the future. *Can
anyone tell me why the splash guard is as deep as it is and whether I
could reduce the depth some while still allowing room for a taper
attachment?

Thanks,
Scott Kelley

I can't help with the taper attachment fitting as I haven't got one but
I did cut the splash guard down on my M300 so it is only 8" deep in
order to reduce the space requirements. It hasn't caused any problems so
far in about 5 years.

My only other thought is that it has to do with the depth of the
"hydraulic copying unit" - which I have never even seen a picture of.

If anybody can get me a measurement of a taper attachment on this
lathe, or direct me to a dimensioned diagram,I would greatly
appreciate it. Basically, I need to know how much I can take off of
the splash guard and not interfere with the taper attachment. A photo
may even be enough to give me a pretty good idea of what I'm dealing
with.

Thx
Scott Kelley
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Scott Kelley wrote:

[...]

I would suggest asking Clausing or Harrison by email. I have a M300
manual and it looks like the taper attachment would fit within the
reduced splashguard I have but I have also thought in the past, as you
have, that the depth of the standard item is to encompass the hydraulic
tracing attachment which is quite deep. I could scan both the taper
attachment details but they are only images in the parts list and so not
dimensioned.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have you seen anywhere an aerial view of the lathe with the taper
attachment? That would give me relative sizes that I could measure
and convert to a useful estimate.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-05, Scott Kelley wrote:

Have you seen anywhere an aerial view of the lathe with the taper
attachment? That would give me relative sizes that I could measure
and convert to a useful estimate.

I've got no familiarity with the Student 2500, but I do own a
Clausing 5418 lathe (12x24"). It does not have a backsplash panel, but
it does have a tray which would be rather difficult to shorten.
However, I got a taper attachment for it as a later thing, and I found
myself glad that I had left room behind it for me to walk and to crouch
down when it came time to mount that attachment.

I'll also be thankful for that space when it comes time to
replace the existing single-phase motor with a three-phase one and a
VFD.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Scott Kelley wrote:
Have you seen anywhere an aerial view of the lathe with the taper
attachment? That would give me relative sizes that I could measure
and convert to a useful estimate.

I can't remember seeing one anywhere so can't help. What about modding
it so it takes up less space but can be extended back if required.