Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player)

This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as
a present (with 30 GB of memory). It arrived and looked interesting.

It does not require any "software", to the computer it looks like a
USB drive, which it is. So you just copy your movies to it for
viewing.

It works fine and handles very many video formats. My wife likes
movies, so, I hope, she will enjoy it.

When it booted up, it looked kind of suspiciously linux-y with nice
blue colors and menus. So I did some searches and learned that it is
indeed a Linux device. It runs Linux OS inside. Cowon used GPLed
software, so they were obligated to release their source code. Here's
something I found for a previous player.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/..._070622.tar.gz

Very interesting. Many consumer devices, for example TiVO, are also
Linux based.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ivan - instead of an old fashioned droppng resistor, use a 3 terminal
regulator to provide a nice stable 6.3 volts to the gauges - or just use a
7805 and provide 5volts - the gauges will be OK with that too.

and, you may wish to have negative ground, which is helpful for a newer
radio, just remember the ammeter will read backwards

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus18705 wrote:

This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as
a present (with 30 GB of memory). It arrived and looked interesting.

On another similar note. I recently put rockbox on my Sansa E250R mp3
player. www.rockbox.org Many electronic devices are getting reflashed with
user generated software.

http://openwrt.org/ has software to run linux on your consumer router.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 19:50:34 -0500, Wes
wrote:

On another similar note. I recently put rockbox on my Sansa E250R mp3
player. www.rockbox.org Many electronic devices are getting reflashed with
user generated software.

Hi Wes, Thanks for that info/link. I wasn't aware of that
project and it looks pretty cool. I'm most interested to see
what they have done with scheduled FM radio recording.

I downloaded a few of the manuals and will have to do some
research/reading now

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-02, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus18705 wrote:

This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as
a present (with 30 GB of memory). It arrived and looked interesting.

On another similar note. I recently put rockbox on my Sansa E250R mp3
player. www.rockbox.org Many electronic devices are getting reflashed with
user generated software.

http://openwrt.org/ has software to run linux on your consumer router.

I looked at rockbox and was very impressed. I am not as interested in
OpenWRT because most of my computers are on a LAN and not on the wifi
subnet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus17662 wrote:

I looked at rockbox and was very impressed. I am not as interested in
OpenWRT because most of my computers are on a LAN and not on the wifi
subnet.

My whole attraction to Rockbox was based on wanting multiple bookmarking of
mp3 files. I listen to a lot of podcasts. It also fires up faster than the
Sansa Software.

If you think one of your machines are compromised you can run tcpdump on the
router to watch it. Lots of posibilites.

My router has two USB ports so storage for logging isn't a problem.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-03, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus17662 wrote:

I looked at rockbox and was very impressed. I am not as interested in
OpenWRT because most of my computers are on a LAN and not on the wifi
subnet.

My whole attraction to Rockbox was based on wanting multiple bookmarking of
mp3 files. I listen to a lot of podcasts. It also fires up faster than the
Sansa Software.

If you think one of your machines are compromised you can run tcpdump on the
router to watch it. Lots of posibilites.

My router has two USB ports so storage for logging isn't a problem.

Wes, actually, after some thinking, I decided that it is a good idea
to install a Linux based router next to the cable modem (I am on
Comcast "business cable" plan 10Mb in, 2Mb out). Right now some
network services, such as DHCP, private subnet translation, and NAT,
are done by my home Linux server. I want to change that.

So if you can recommend some good flashable router, I will appreciate
it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus11102 wrote:

[ ... ]
So if you can recommend some good flashable router, I will
appreciate it.

WRT54GS or one of those that Tomato will run on. Dumped OpenWRT
here a while back and have been very happy with Tomato running
on the GS.