Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default OT An interesting Linux device (Cowon A3 video player)

Ivan - instead of an old fashioned droppng resistor, use a 3 terminal
regulator to provide a nice stable 6.3 volts to the gauges - or just use a
7805 and provide 5volts - the gauges will be OK with that too.

and, you may wish to have negative ground, which is helpful for a newer
radio, just remember the ammeter will read backwards

"Ignoramus18705" wrote in message

This is a portable music and video player. I bought it for my wife as
a present (with 30 GB of memory). It arrived and looked interesting.

It does not require any "software", to the computer it looks like a
USB drive, which it is. So you just copy your movies to it for
viewing.

It works fine and handles very many video formats. My wife likes
movies, so, I hope, she will enjoy it.

When it booted up, it looked kind of suspiciously linux-y with nice
blue colors and menus. So I did some searches and learned that it is
indeed a Linux device. It runs Linux OS inside. Cowon used GPLed
software, so they were obligated to release their source code. Here's
something I found for a previous player.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/download/..._070622.tar.gz

Very interesting. Many consumer devices, for example TiVO, are also
Linux based.