Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default deterioration of fluxcore wire?

I've been having a lot of fun getting acquainted with the baby MIG
welder Santa brought me, and I've finished the spool of fluxcore wire
that came with it (when I feel like I've gotten good enough with it to
say something about its behavior that says more about the welder than
about me as a welder, I intend to post a review).

Turns out it will hold a 10lb spool of wire, so I'm wondering whether
I should go ahead and get it. I'm not anticipating a *lot* of use --
I wouldn't be surprised to find a 10lb spool would last me a couple of
years.

So, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do it, or if the wire would
deteriorate over time and I should get smaller spools so they get used
up while they're still useful. If climate matters, I live at the
north end of the Chihuahuan desert (in Las Cruces NM -- roughly 50
miles north of the Mexican border) and the welder is kept in an
uninsulated garage. So there isn't much humidity, but in the summer
it probably gets over 110F during the day, and this winter it's
probably gotten down to around 20F at night a few times.

Thoughts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
[...]

No problem.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
[...]

Buy the 10# spool (isn't that on an 8" spool?) 'cuz it's much cheaper per
pound that way. I live up in soggy Seattle and that's what I do. If you
do wind up having multiple spools, keep the spares in ziploc bags, though.
Rusty MIG wire isn't any fun.

Grant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The flux is stable for years so that is not a problem. High humidity
encourages rust on the wire which IS a problem when it give erratic
feeding and cruds up the contact tip. You desert humidity pretty much
solves the rust problem. If you were talking 10 years to use it up, I'd
go for the smaller reel. In your case, go for it.

In my case, I have several other welders in my shop or at work. The 120
volt wire feed is used exclusively for the quick portable jobs, a small
roll lasts for years.

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to all who responded -- sounds like the 10lb is what I want!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Joe,

If it's MIG why are ya fooling around with fluxcore?

I have a little Lincoln SP-100 and the only thing I use fluxcore for is on
a SUnday when the C02/Argon tank goes empty...

Really MIG is much easyer to do and leaves a better finish..

But yeah I'm with the other guys buy the big spool... FluxCore or not :-)

--.- Dave