Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default deterioration of fluxcore wire?

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
I've been having a lot of fun getting acquainted with the baby MIG
welder Santa brought me, and I've finished the spool of fluxcore wire
that came with it (when I feel like I've gotten good enough with it to
say something about its behavior that says more about the welder than
about me as a welder, I intend to post a review).

Turns out it will hold a 10lb spool of wire, so I'm wondering whether
I should go ahead and get it. I'm not anticipating a *lot* of use --
I wouldn't be surprised to find a 10lb spool would last me a couple of
years.

So, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and do it, or if the wire would
deteriorate over time and I should get smaller spools so they get used
up while they're still useful. If climate matters, I live at the
north end of the Chihuahuan desert (in Las Cruces NM -- roughly 50
miles north of the Mexican border) and the welder is kept in an
uninsulated garage. So there isn't much humidity, but in the summer
it probably gets over 110F during the day, and this winter it's
probably gotten down to around 20F at night a few times.

Thoughts?

Buy the 10# spool (isn't that on an 8" spool?) 'cuz it's much cheaper per
pound that way. I live up in soggy Seattle and that's what I do. If you
do wind up having multiple spools, keep the spares in ziploc bags, though.
Rusty MIG wire isn't any fun.

Grant