Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Got broadband?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 14:33:52 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Feb 2, 10:15*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
Are the miltitary/government tones still in effect? *Certain tones
would automatically switch into governmental *phone networks?

Gunner, one time black boxer in his Much younger days.

Remember the Flash Override tone pair?

Silver Box!

That was Autovan? Autovon? something like that

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Feb 2, 10:15*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
Are the miltitary/government tones still in effect? *Certain tones
would automatically switch into governmental *phone networks?

Gunner, one time black boxer in his Much younger days.

Remember the Flash Override tone pair?

All that is is a 16-button Touch-Tone pad with an extra column on
the right - A B C D. 1633 Hz. Silver Box. Standard in-band
signaling.

Lots of Ham and Commercial radio gear has the ABCD buttons, and it
is widely used for repeater remote control or phone autopatch
controls.

Might still work if you have access to a real AUDOVON trunk, but
AFAIK that's a secure system with no official ways in from the PSTN.
Unless you want to get a visit from the local MIB, complete with the
Ray-Bans and Neuralizers....

Trips a 120-IPM Fast Busy/Reorder if you try using them on a regular
POTS telephone line - but DAMHIKT.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 22:37:17 -0600, RoyJ
wrote:

I flat out will not answer an "ID Blocked" or "ID Unavailable"
or an obviously faked "000 000 0000" CID. Let the machine screen it.

Yep, and when you place a 'for sale' ad, I can't respond because my
phone is blocked. Reminds me of an HR person who worked for the US
Department of Agriculture. She would try to call an applicant to come in
for an interview, they would block calls with blocked numbers. But since
the Dept of Ag shared a phone system with a hush hush FBI office, no
amount of unblocking codes would work. So the HR person called the next
person on the list.

Reading comprehension test EPIC FAIL: "Let the machine screen it."
You even quoted it back, so you had to have seen it.

I deliberately said machine, and not Voicemail. If it's a real
person and not a sales-droid, and you are there, you pick up.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many (most?) people with caller ID set their systems to block caller ID
blocked calls. So it is a standoff. There are a fair number of smaller
businesses that have made the same choice. They get their peace and
quiet, they get to have a limited number of buyers. Their choice.

wrote:

I flat out will not answer an "ID Blocked" or "ID Unavailable"
or an obviously faked "000 000 0000" CID. Let the machine screen it.

Yep, and when you place a 'for sale' ad, I can't respond because my
phone is blocked. Reminds me of an HR person who worked for the US
Department of Agriculture. She would try to call an applicant to come in
for an interview, they would block calls with blocked numbers. But since
the Dept of Ag shared a phone system with a hush hush FBI office, no
amount of unblocking codes would work. So the HR person called the next
person on the list.

Reading comprehension test EPIC FAIL: "Let the machine screen it."
You even quoted it back, so you had to have seen it.

I deliberately said machine, and not Voicemail. If it's a real
person and not a sales-droid, and you are there, you pick up.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-02-06, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jon Elson wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

I could really get behind such an effort! Actually, there is a method,
and it needs to be pushed forward. All ISPs would need to require all
email senders to validate their connection by password. Many in the
3rd world don't require this. Then, only documented subscribers could
send email, and the bevy of compromised machines that are currently
being exploited to send most of the CRAP would be disabled.

[ ... ]

I think there needs to be a 'handshake' between mail servers to
verify the IP address matches the server name.

There already is -- and it often fails. But because systems are
configured to give an internal name instead of their external one, valid
mail servers will fail this test.

And I get a lot of spam from sites where the "HELO" handshake
identifies it as an IP instead of a system name -- and that IP happens
to be the IP of one of my own mail servers. The MTA (Mail Transport
Agent) which I run also carefully makes note of the real IP from which
it is delivered, for addition to my blocking.

And I find systems which I have blocked by IP or by partial name
(such as taking something like 123-234-50-60.dhcp.some.domain and just
putting in ".dhcp.some.domain" in the block list since anyone who is on
a dhcp connection should not be running a mail server, since the IP can
change at any time) and I find in the console screen a bunch of refusals
going past and I check and discover that there have been 586 attempts
refused in the past day or less, and more coming, so I add that to the
route block -- where I tell the route system in my mail servers that the
path to that IP is through 127.0.0.1 (the local host and nothing else),
so any handshakes from such connections just die in my system and stop
filling up the log files. :-) I've got major parts of some countries
blocked that way -- and would have all parts if I had any way to look up
all of the IPs allocated to that country. A prime example is Korea,
from which I get nothing but spam and attempts to break into my systems
by trying thousands of passwords with hundreds of supposed user names,
most of which are highly unlikely to ever exist on my systems.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner
wrote on Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:39:29
-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

On Feb 2, 10:15*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
Are the miltitary/government tones still in effect? *Certain tones
would automatically switch into governmental *phone networks?

Gunner, one time black boxer in his Much younger days.

Remember the Flash Override tone pair?

Silver Box!

That was Autovan? Autovon? something like that

AudoVon. You had to have a User Number to use it. I remember my
Dad's story of trying to set up getting some civilians to be part of a
program, and every time the guy on the other end would ask them a
question they didn't have the answer for, they'd get bumped off the
line. Get the answer (names, numbers, places, what ever) and call
back.

"Never thought I'd be late to Sunday evening service trying to get
a Danish national on an American Air Base, because the Jordanian
Monarch was visiting Spain."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed

OT - best broadband ? sm_jamieson UK diy 61 June 16th 07 12:13 PM
Best ISP for Broadband Eusebius UK diy 28 May 22nd 07 11:20 AM
Odd thing with my broadband VivienB UK diy 14 August 28th 06 09:26 PM
BroadBand OT Weatherlawyer UK diy 6 April 10th 06 07:20 PM
for those of U on ntl broadband tony sayer UK diy 31 March 11th 05 10:00 PM