Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Jog" mode with VFD on lathe

How does this work (the manual isn't clear)? Is it useful?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob,
On my VFD controlled lathe, the JOG button acts as an ON, but turns
OFF when released.
Is it useful, yes. I use it a lot when I use the change gears to
adjust the feed rate. The right handle never wants to engage without
a little chuck rotation.

Note, on my lathe the physical JOG button is wired the same as the run
switch. It is not wired to terminals called jog, and the VFD has no
idea if it's a RUN or JOG.
Dave

On Jan 28, 7:45 am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How does this work (the manual isn't clear)? Is it useful?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How does this work (the manual isn't clear)? Is it useful?

Bob

I put it on my Sheldon R15, as it sometimes has problems finding a gear.
This can be real handy when engaging the QC box or the back gear.
Sometimes I use it to inspect a part, or for tapping in the spindle.
I have it set for 5 Hz on the motor, so that is 8.3% of normal speed.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Randal O'Brian" wrote:

The jog freq. is usually adjustable. I have it set to 10 Hz on my mill and
use it for power tapping.

An excellent use of the mode.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How does this work (the manual isn't clear)? Is it useful?

Bob

Bob,
What type of VFD do you have?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al A. wrote:
What type of VFD do you have?

It's a Mitsubishi A220E (3hp 3 ph in or 1 1/2hp 1ph):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitsubishi-FR-A-...mZ140199165978

$48.76 NIB! It thought it was a GREAT deal until it arrived and I
realized that I hadn't paid close enough attention to the auction
listing. It didn't include what they call the "parameter unit" (i.e.,
the user interface device)!!! OOOH, NOOO .... crap, damn, crap!

I checked for a "PU" on the web and found very little selection and high
cost. Damn, damn, damn. So I set up an eBay search, figuring that
sooner or later I would find one. Well ... there was an auction for
the exact PU model I needed, NIB, ending in 5 min!! I got it for
$10.99. WOW - dodged a real bullet. I should have gone out and played
the lottery, given the luck-state I was in.

In the end, with shipping, it was $82 or so for both. Not exactly the
bottom feeding that I was hoping for, but still a good price for NIB.

Bob

You're right - this is for the lathe that you sold me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So jog mode is just really slow speed without having to change the speed
setting? Is it normally activated with a push button? I.e., it jogs as
long as you hold the button down?

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
So jog mode is just really slow speed without having to change the speed
setting? Is it normally activated with a push button? I.e., it jogs as
long as you hold the button down?

Bob

Not a bad deal, all-in-all. But boy you did dodge a bullet!

That is essentially what jog mode is. It is a pre-programmed (usually
low)speed that is activated (usually, lots of ways to set this up, of
course) by a button other than the "start" button, runs only as long as
you hold it down. Usually used for just what the name implies, "jogging"
something into position, mesh, or whatever.

I don't know that particular VFD at all, but there are generally
specific parameters for the jog setup. If the manual for the VFD is any
good, it should explain. Some of the manuals are pretty hard to follow,
in my experience, and take some work to dig out what you need to know.

I really like the low speed for tapping in the mill idea that Randal
mentioned. Gotta add that to mine! Thanks!

You'll love having the VFD on your machine. Very convenient!

AL A.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Al A. wrote:
That is essentially what jog mode is. It is a pre-programmed (usually
low)speed that is activated (usually, lots of ways to set this up, of
course) by a button other than the "start" button, runs only as long as
you hold it down. Usually used for just what the name implies, "jogging"
something into position, mesh, or whatever.

I usually push/pull on the chuck. For a much larger lathe or a mill
using the VFD jog would be easier than manual.

... Some of the manuals are pretty hard to follow,
in my experience, and take some work to dig out what you need to know.

Indeed! They do step-by-small-step for setting the various parameters,
but the explanations of what the parameters do is pretty difficult. Not
native English speaking, I'd say.

I really like the low speed for tapping in the mill idea that Randal
mentioned. Gotta add that to mine! Thanks!

You'll love having the VFD on your machine. Very convenient!

I've had one on my drill press for years & I do love it. I use a 5 Hz
setting on it for tapping.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:47:54 -0500, "Al A." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

Didn't use it when I fitted VFDs to the lathes, maybe another button could be
in their future.

Mark Rand
RTFM