Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "Jog" mode with VFD on lathe

Al A. wrote:
That is essentially what jog mode is. It is a pre-programmed (usually
low)speed that is activated (usually, lots of ways to set this up, of
course) by a button other than the "start" button, runs only as long as
you hold it down. Usually used for just what the name implies, "jogging"
something into position, mesh, or whatever.

I usually push/pull on the chuck. For a much larger lathe or a mill
using the VFD jog would be easier than manual.

... Some of the manuals are pretty hard to follow,
in my experience, and take some work to dig out what you need to know.

Indeed! They do step-by-small-step for setting the various parameters,
but the explanations of what the parameters do is pretty difficult. Not
native English speaking, I'd say.

I really like the low speed for tapping in the mill idea that Randal
mentioned. Gotta add that to mine! Thanks!

You'll love having the VFD on your machine. Very convenient!

I've had one on my drill press for years & I do love it. I use a 5 Hz
setting on it for tapping.

Bob