Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default "Jog" mode with VFD on lathe

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:47:54 -0500, "Al A." wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
So jog mode is just really slow speed without having to change the speed
setting? Is it normally activated with a push button? I.e., it jogs as
long as you hold the button down?

Bob

Not a bad deal, all-in-all. But boy you did dodge a bullet!

That is essentially what jog mode is. It is a pre-programmed (usually
low)speed that is activated (usually, lots of ways to set this up, of
course) by a button other than the "start" button, runs only as long as
you hold it down. Usually used for just what the name implies, "jogging"
something into position, mesh, or whatever.

I don't know that particular VFD at all, but there are generally
specific parameters for the jog setup. If the manual for the VFD is any
good, it should explain. Some of the manuals are pretty hard to follow,
in my experience, and take some work to dig out what you need to know.

I really like the low speed for tapping in the mill idea that Randal
mentioned. Gotta add that to mine! Thanks!

You'll love having the VFD on your machine. Very convenient!

AL A.

Didn't use it when I fitted VFDs to the lathes, maybe another button could be
in their future.

Mark Rand
RTFM