Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small Part Storage Cabinet/Shelves

One of my upcoming projects is to consolidate LOTS of small parts
(both mechanical and electrical) using these types of containers.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS

I am planning on having dozens maybe hundreds of these containers.

The next step is to construct cabinets or shelves to store these
containers.

What suggestions do you have for storing these containers?

Thanks

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would personally use parts cabinets with dividers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
One of my upcoming projects is to consolidate LOTS of small parts
(both mechanical and electrical) using these types of containers.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS
I am planning on having dozens maybe hundreds of these containers.
The next step is to construct cabinets or shelves to store these
containers.
What suggestions do you have for storing these containers?
Thanks
TMT

I use cabinets similar to these:
http://www.onlineorganizing.com/Prod...torage_Cabinet
Unless you need yours to be portable, I find this the best way to go to
organize parts. You can find cheaper ones than the examples shown in the
link.

--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools writes:

What suggestions do you have for storing these containers?

They don't last. Plastic of that species depolymerizes and turns brittle
after a few years, especially in the presence of solvents and oil.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 3:36*pm, Ignoramus2378
wrote:
I would personally use parts cabinets with dividers.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have lots of parts cabinets...this new version is just the latest
addition.

Like one type of screwdriver is not sufficient, part storage requires
more than one type of storage.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

One of my upcoming projects is to consolidate LOTS of small parts
(both mechanical and electrical) using these types of containers.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS

I am planning on having dozens maybe hundreds of these containers.

The next step is to construct cabinets or shelves to store these
containers.

What suggestions do you have for storing these containers?

Thanks

TMT

The metro shelving clone rolling rack with poly parts bins that you can
find at Sam's for about $99 is really quite good. A number of the
smaller of that type of container can stack in a bin. I have bins with
various packages of nuts, bolts, screws, bins with electrical fittings,
bins with plumbing fittings, bins with cable ties, bins with tape, etc.

Handy to be able to roll the whole thing over to where you are working
too and it helps keep things from getting scattered and not put back
after use. Since it's not that deep, you can also roll one in front of
another to conserve space.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. writes:

The metro shelving clone rolling rack with poly parts bins that you can
find at Sam's for about $99 is really quite good.

I agree. It is a high-quality Chinese clone of the Metro design:

http://www.sevilleclassics.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Too_Many_Tools writes:

What suggestions do you have for storing these containers?

They don't last. Plastic of that species depolymerizes and turns brittle
after a few years, especially in the presence of solvents and oil.

Theyt are also a bit** to get small things out of. If you use them
buy tweezers by the gross and have one in or on each bin.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:09:23 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

http://tinyurl.com/28pxuz Yeah, looks damned handy.

--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-- Mark Twain
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:22:00 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

One of my upcoming projects is to consolidate LOTS of small parts
(both mechanical and electrical) using these types of containers.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/.../%20ORGANIZERS
I am planning on having dozens maybe hundreds of these containers.
The next step is to construct cabinets or shelves to store these
containers.
What suggestions do you have for storing these containers?

Pigeonholes?

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...Item.do?itemid...
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...Item.do?itemid...
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...Item.do?itemid...
I am planning on having dozens maybe hundreds of these containers.
The next step is to construct cabinets or shelves to store these
containers.
What suggestions do you have for storing these containers?

Pigeonholes?

Good Luck!
Rich

Yeah...that was my first thought too.

But I figured this newsgroup has some smart people here...and me
too ;)...so I thought I would ask for suggestions before committing
time and resources.

I really hate to do a job over again....a dozen times. ;))

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:59:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/28pxuz Yeah, looks damned handy.

The welded wire shelves on this site are also excellent, e.g.
item # SHE18487. These are available at Costco for about the same
price, no shipping. The ones I got have six shelves rather than four,
still 72" tall. They're very strong, rated at 600 lb per shelf, way
far better than the woogity sheetmetal shelf units. I have several
of these in my shop. I don't think I could build shelving this sturdy
for less money. They are a whole lot sturdier than they look. I have
one such shelf completely loaded with books and boxes of bullets. Not
finished ammo, lead bullets. That's a fair amount of weight, but no
problem. You can set the various shelves at any height you like in
1" increments. I like them a lot.

In some cases I store stuff on the shelves in those rectangular
plastic tubs from Wal-Mart et all. Some of those tubs contain further
subdivision like partitioned plastic "tackleboxes", etc.

For small electronic parts, both leaded and SMT, the solution that
works well for me is small (2-1/2" x 4-1/4") manilla envelopes.
Hundreds of them will fit standing up (2 rows) in a 6 x 12"
polyethylene tub. I mark each one with its contents and they're easy
to keep sorted. DIP's are stuck into thin bits of conductive foam
that fit into the envelopes. The tubs can be segregated by function,
as linears, logic, power, transistors, passives,sensors, etc etc.

Please don't construe this to imply that I am OCD "organized". HA! I
refer to my shop as an "object rich environment".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:13:30 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/28pxuz Yeah, looks damned handy.

The welded wire shelves on this site are also excellent, e.g.
item # SHE18487. These are available at Costco for about the same
price, no shipping. The ones I got have six shelves rather than four,
still 72" tall. They're very strong, rated at 600 lb per shelf, way
far better than the woogity sheetmetal shelf units. I have several
of these in my shop. I don't think I could build shelving this sturdy
for less money. They are a whole lot sturdier than they look. I have
one such shelf completely loaded with books and boxes of bullets. Not
finished ammo, lead bullets. That's a fair amount of weight, but no
problem. You can set the various shelves at any height you like in
1" increments. I like them a lot.

I've worshiped those from afar. Maybe it's time to break down and get
one or two once I've put up the spare shop. (see below)

In some cases I store stuff on the shelves in those rectangular
plastic tubs from Wal-Mart et all. Some of those tubs contain further
subdivision like partitioned plastic "tackleboxes", etc.

For small electronic parts, both leaded and SMT, the solution that
works well for me is small (2-1/2" x 4-1/4") manilla envelopes.

Got it. Vanilla envelopes for leaded and unleaded parts. (pr: leed)

Hundreds of them will fit standing up (2 rows) in a 6 x 12"
polyethylene tub. I mark each one with its contents and they're easy
to keep sorted. DIP's are stuck into thin bits of conductive foam
that fit into the envelopes. The tubs can be segregated by function,
as linears, logic, power, transistors, passives,sensors, etc etc.

Please don't construe this to imply that I am OCD "organized". HA! I
refer to my shop as an "object rich environment".

g Ditto mine. And I need to build that outbuilding to redistribute
some of the tools and supplies so I'll be able to work in the shop
again. Hell, I don't have room for a mini-mill, let alone a
Bridgeport. Now I see why I should have bought more acreage. I'll be
lucky to stuff a 12x16" building in next to the house.

--
You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
-- Mark Twain

Kitchen cabinet toe-kick storage [email protected] Home Repair 3 January 21st 08 05:43 AM
Just finished a hardware storage cabinet Mark Blum Woodworking 11 March 22nd 06 08:25 PM
MAPLE STORAGE CABINET AND EASEL J T Woodworking 0 October 17th 05 06:56 AM
SUV STORAGE CABINET J T Woodworking 3 December 31st 04 02:04 PM
Building custom kitchen - need sources for cabinet without doorsor shelves Matt Mason Home Repair 12 July 17th 03 05:06 AM