Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Small Part Storage Cabinet/Shelves

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:59:22 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/28pxuz Yeah, looks damned handy.

The welded wire shelves on this site are also excellent, e.g.
item # SHE18487. These are available at Costco for about the same
price, no shipping. The ones I got have six shelves rather than four,
still 72" tall. They're very strong, rated at 600 lb per shelf, way
far better than the woogity sheetmetal shelf units. I have several
of these in my shop. I don't think I could build shelving this sturdy
for less money. They are a whole lot sturdier than they look. I have
one such shelf completely loaded with books and boxes of bullets. Not
finished ammo, lead bullets. That's a fair amount of weight, but no
problem. You can set the various shelves at any height you like in
1" increments. I like them a lot.

In some cases I store stuff on the shelves in those rectangular
plastic tubs from Wal-Mart et all. Some of those tubs contain further
subdivision like partitioned plastic "tackleboxes", etc.

For small electronic parts, both leaded and SMT, the solution that
works well for me is small (2-1/2" x 4-1/4") manilla envelopes.
Hundreds of them will fit standing up (2 rows) in a 6 x 12"
polyethylene tub. I mark each one with its contents and they're easy
to keep sorted. DIP's are stuck into thin bits of conductive foam
that fit into the envelopes. The tubs can be segregated by function,
as linears, logic, power, transistors, passives,sensors, etc etc.

Please don't construe this to imply that I am OCD "organized". HA! I
refer to my shop as an "object rich environment".