Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help select deburring wheels...

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the wire wheel on my bench grinder. I've heard
a lot about the scotch-brite style wheels, but there are a lot of
options there. I would appreciate some input from what people have
used and tried in similar situations.

The grinder is your typical 6", 3450rpm grinder. I currently use a 1"
wide wire wheel for deburring, removing rust and scale, weld
preperation, and cleaning things like mower blades prior to
sharpening.

Based on my needs, can I do all this with one wheel? Should I be
shooting for a harder or softer wheel? Medium? Coarse? What's
worked for you?

Thanks,
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 24, 9:36 am, " wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the wire wheel on my bench grinder. I've heard
a lot about the scotch-brite style wheels, but there are a lot of
options there. I would appreciate some input from what people have
used and tried in similar situations.

The grinder is your typical 6", 3450rpm grinder. I currently use a 1"
wide wire wheel for deburring, removing rust and scale, weld
preperation, and cleaning things like mower blades prior to
sharpening.

Based on my needs, can I do all this with one wheel? Should I be
shooting for a harder or softer wheel? Medium? Coarse? What's
worked for you?

Thanks,
--Glenn Lyford

I have tried several 3M wheels. In every cast they would not run true
no matter what I did. Tried everything from making custom side plates
to index in the large center hole to making center adapters like a
regular grinding wheel uses. Just could never get them to run true or
even be close to balanced. Never found a good way to true them,
either. They deburred good but vibrated big time
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the wire wheel on my bench grinder. I've heard
a lot about the scotch-brite style wheels, but there are a lot of
options there. I would appreciate some input from what people have
used and tried in similar situations.

The grinder is your typical 6", 3450rpm grinder. I currently use a 1"
wide wire wheel for deburring, removing rust and scale, weld
preperation, and cleaning things like mower blades prior to
sharpening.

Based on my needs, can I do all this with one wheel? Should I be
shooting for a harder or softer wheel? Medium? Coarse? What's
worked for you?

Thanks,
--Glenn Lyford

What is your wire wheel? Make? Wire diameter?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm looking to replace the wire wheel on my bench grinder. [...]
The grinder is your typical 6", 3450rpm grinder. I currently use a 1"
wide wire wheel for deburring, removing rust and scale, weld
preparation, and cleaning things like mower blades prior to
sharpening.

What is your wire wheel? Make? Wire diameter?

Craftsman "Made in U.S.A.", looks like the wires mic at .014 or so.
Don't know how old it is, but it was originally a real one-piece 1"
wide wheel when I got it. The hub is also bigger than your typical
import wheel, giving it shorter, stiffer wires which has worked well,
it doesn't conform as much and resist my hand pressure better. I've
worn the corners off so it now has a domed rather than a square trim,
if you will. While I could probably reverse it and get a little more
life, or even resharpen it with a grinder, I think it's days are
numbered.

Still, it's held up a lot better than the pair of thin import cheapies
I had on there before. I'm not adverse to getting another quality-
made wire brush, if that's where you're going with this. What would
you recommend?

--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I think you have the right brush. I'd recommend grinding it rather than
reversing it. If you've worn 20% of the original diameter, plan on replacing it
fairly soon. Consider a Knot-type in .014 for gp duty or .020 for heavier duty
work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:36:34 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the wire wheel on my bench grinder. I've heard
a lot about the scotch-brite style wheels, but there are a lot of
options there. I would appreciate some input from what people have
used and tried in similar situations.

The grinder is your typical 6", 3450rpm grinder. I currently use a 1"
wide wire wheel for deburring, removing rust and scale, weld
preperation, and cleaning things like mower blades prior to
sharpening.

Based on my needs, can I do all this with one wheel? Should I be
shooting for a harder or softer wheel? Medium? Coarse? What's
worked for you?

For my uses, I find an 8S fine deburring wheel (in 3m's nomenclature)
to be a good general purpose wheel for light deburring, prepolishing,
and light cleaning. That wheel is not going to replace a wire wheel
for heavy rust and scale removal, and even with a coarser wheel you
may be disappointed in how quickly your $60 wheel shrinks on rough
work.

3m has selection info he
http://multimedia.mmm.com/mws/mediaw...lVNjXhLLLL j-

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For my uses, I find an 8S fine deburring wheel (in 3m's nomenclature)
to be a good general purpose wheel for light deburring, prepolishing,
and light cleaning. That wheel is not going to replace a wire wheel
for heavy rust and scale removal, and even with a coarser wheel you
may be disappointed in how quickly your $60 wheel shrinks on rough
work.

Thanks, I think that tells me what I need to know. Eventually when I
set up my buffing arbor I'll get one or two, but it sounds like for
the moment a wire wheel better suits my needs.

Thanks everyone...
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think you have the right brush. *I'd recommend grinding it rather than
reversing it. *If you've worn 20% of the original diameter, plan on replacing it
fairly soon. *Consider a Knot-type in .014 for gp duty or .020 for heavier duty
work.

I like the wider working surface of a 1" wide wheel, but this is not a
terribly powerful grinder (1/2hp, if that). I see that the knot
brushes in 6" mostly come in 1/2" width only. Am I asking for trouble
to run knot brushes in pairs or am I better off to just stick to
single wheels and plan on changing them out more often?

Thanks,
--Glenn Lyford
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
For my uses, I find an 8S fine deburring wheel (in 3m's nomenclature)
to be a good general purpose wheel for light deburring, prepolishing,
and light cleaning. That wheel is not going to replace a wire wheel
for heavy rust and scale removal, and even with a coarser wheel you
may be disappointed in how quickly your $60 wheel shrinks on rough
work.

I use 8s wheels, but don't really understand 3m's grit designation system.
I think its a bad idea to reverse a wire whell that has been used, unless
you want snags and thrown wires.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I think you have the right brush. I'd recommend grinding it rather than
reversing it. If you've worn 20% of the original diameter, plan on replacing
it
fairly soon. Consider a Knot-type in .014 for gp duty or .020 for heavier duty
work.

I like the wider working surface of a 1" wide wheel, but this is not a
terribly powerful grinder (1/2hp, if that). I see that the knot
brushes in 6" mostly come in 1/2" width only. Am I asking for trouble
to run knot brushes in pairs or am I better off to just stick to
single wheels and plan on changing them out more often?

Thanks,
--Glenn Lyford

The knot-type will do a lot heavier work but you're right about the increased HP
requirements. All in all, wire wheels are cheap tools, even expensive ones.

Deburring Conduit (EMT) dicko Home Repair 16 January 19th 08 05:14 AM
Deburring copper pipe PM UK diy 45 March 13th 06 08:25 AM
Deburring while clamped - help???? Bill Schwab Metalworking 24 December 22nd 05 08:52 PM
Deburring problem solved! Wayne Lundberg Metalworking 1 February 19th 05 02:49 AM
Ladder standoff, wheels or no wheels? Josey UK diy 10 September 2nd 04 11:05 AM