Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need 3 jaw chuck for logan 10"

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:04:01 -0800 (PST), wrote:

anyone have a good used 3 or 4 jaw chuck with reversable jaws? 6" w
1-1/2 x8 thread.

Thanks,

Jon in Nor Cal

http://www.greermachinery.com/

Call these people, tell them that Gunner refered you and tell em what
you are looking for.

You can probably get one for $35-75 in decent condition.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 22, 7:15*am, Trevor Jones wrote:
wrote:
anyone have a good used 3 or 4 jaw chuck with reversable jaws? 6" w
1-1/2 x8 thread.

Thanks,

Jon in Nor Cal

* Unless you can get a very good one, from a reputable source that will
stand befind it, buy a new 3 jaw. It'll save you SO much headache!

* Bison brand are well made, and inexpensive, and new trumps 30 years of
wear and use.

* Parts are available, too.

* A used 4 jaw chuck is unlikely to have seen the kind of use as a 3
jaw, because there are a pile of guys out there that still think that
setting up a job in one, is some sort of black magic. Some of those
issues are mindset, some technique, and some are issues with lousy worn
out chucks that were a "bargain".

* There are a couple guys here that may be able to hook you up with
used, stuff, in good shape, Gunner is one, Leigh at Marmachine, is another..

* If you don't mind sight unseen, or at least long distance, Joe
Bergamo, at Plaza Machine Tools, in Bethel VT, is a good guy to deal with.

* At least you are looking for one of, if not the, most common thread
sizes for a lathe spindle nose. You should be able to find something decent.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll be third in line to say 'get a new one'. I spent about $80 from one
of the e-bay sellers to get an import 6" chuck with 2 part jaws for my
Logan. Very happy with that decision. Plan on using a universal backing
plate and turning it to fit your lathe and your chuck. Only way to get
it really accurate.

wrote:
anyone have a good used 3 or 4 jaw chuck with reversable jaws? 6" w
1-1/2 x8 thread.

Thanks,

Jon in Nor Cal

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-22, RoyJ wrote:
wrote:
anyone have a good used 3 or 4 jaw chuck with reversable jaws? 6" w
1-1/2 x8 thread.

[ ... ]

Jon in Nor Cal

I'll be third in line to say 'get a new one'. I spent about $80 from one
of the e-bay sellers to get an import 6" chuck with 2 part jaws for my
Logan. Very happy with that decision. Plan on using a universal backing
plate and turning it to fit your lathe and your chuck. Only way to get
it really accurate.

Agreed. And I would consider a 6" 3-jaw to be just a bit large
for a 10" Logan. Better a 5" 3-jaw,, and perhaps an 8" 4-jaw.

I could offer you a 3-jaw with 2-piece jaws which came with my
12x24" Clausing but became useless once I switched spindles from 2-1/4x8
to L-00. It does not have a separate backplate, so you would have to
turn up an adaptor to convert the threads. (At least, there is plenty
of meat in such an adaptor. :-)

But -- it is a heavy chuck, and if your .sig indicates Northern
California, you are just too far away to make the shipping practical.

Note that I replaced it with a 6-1/4" Bison 3-jaw with two-piece
jaws and bought soft jaws to have on hand for certain tasks -- so
consider this to be another vote in favor of the Bison chucks.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-22, RoyJ wrote:

wrote:
anyone have a good used 3 or 4 jaw chuck with reversable jaws? 6" w
1-1/2 x8 thread.

* * * * [ ... ]

Jon in Nor Cal

[...]

* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
* * * * * *--- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

well I guess it will be a new Chuck as everyone seems to have gone
down this road before?

other than e bay, is there a good source for new chucks that are
priced right?

Thanks for all he good info and support.

Regards,
Jon

1/2" bits in a 3/8" chuck? Jay Pique Woodworking 10 November 5th 07 12:19 AM
repairing "egg-beater" style drill chuck Par Woodworking 7 November 15th 06 05:27 AM
Logan 7" Shaper Ron Moore Metalworking 0 May 9th 06 02:29 AM
9-10" Logan lathe FS Gunner Asch Metalworking 0 October 29th 05 10:55 AM
FA:5" Buck Chuck 6 jaw 1 1/2-8 thd. Logan Atlas So. Bend Mike Metalworking 3 July 17th 04 04:01 AM