Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] msmeads2@att.net is offline

Default Need 3 jaw chuck for logan 10"

On 2008-01-22, RoyJ wrote:

wrote:
anyone have a good used 3 or 4 jaw chuck with reversable jaws? 6" w
1-1/2 x8 thread.

* * * * [ ... ]

Jon in Nor Cal

I'll be third in line to say 'get a new one'. I spent about $80 from one
of the e-bay sellers to get an import 6" chuck with 2 part jaws for my
Logan. Very happy with that decision. Plan on using a universal backing
plate and turning it to fit your lathe and your chuck. Only way to get
it really accurate.

* * * * Agreed. *And I would consider a 6" 3-jaw to be just a bit large
for a 10" Logan. *Better a 5" 3-jaw,, and perhaps an 8" 4-jaw.

* * * * I could offer you a 3-jaw with 2-piece jaws which came with my
12x24" Clausing but became useless once I switched spindles from 2-1/4x8
to L-00. *It does not have a separate backplate, so you would have to
turn up an adaptor to convert the threads. *(At least, there is plenty
of meat in such an adaptor. :-)

* * * * But -- it is a heavy chuck, and if your .sig indicates Northern
California, you are just too far away to make the shipping practical.

* * * * Note that I replaced it with a 6-1/4" Bison 3-jaw with two-piece
jaws and bought soft jaws to have on hand for certain tasks -- so
consider this to be another vote in favor of the Bison chucks.

* * * * Good Luck,
* * * * * * * * DoN.

--
*Email: * * | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
* * * * (too) near Washington D.C. |http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html

well I guess it will be a new Chuck as everyone seems to have gone
down this road before?

other than e bay, is there a good source for new chucks that are
priced right?

Thanks for all he good info and support.

Regards,
Jon