Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusted gears usable?

I got a rototiller at the dump. The motor is fine, but it wouldn't
shift gears. The "transmission" was a bitch to get apart, but I did it
and found rust, as I expected. I'm undecided between pitching it and
rehabbing it.

Even with the rust removed, the gears will be very rough and wear
quickly, but:
- it would get very little use (maybe an hour or two per year)
- the transmission runs at fairly low speed (900 rpm max input, down to
maybe 50 rpm on the wheels)
- it only handles 5 hp

My feeling is that under these conditions the transmission would last a
long time and perform normally, if noisily.

Finally, I like to rehab machines, but I don't like to waste my time.

A pic of one of the gears after HCl de-rusting and bead blasting (the
teeth are about 1/4" wide):
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/RustedGear.jpg

Waddaya think?

Bob

Old Stains Still Usable? Gary Brown Woodworking 3 December 17th 06 12:37 AM
Swap? Atlas 10F change gears, need 618 gears Rex B Metalworking 6 February 15th 06 03:41 AM
Wooden gears to metal gears. Don Stauffer Metalworking 5 January 30th 06 09:53 PM
Desoldering *usable* plumbing fittings Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 9 May 1st 05 04:51 AM
moldy apple wood, usable? Adrian Mariano Woodworking 3 November 2nd 04 12:23 AM