Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Rusted gears usable?

On Jan 14, 9:55*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
John Martin wrote:
I've got an old Gravely tractor and several gearboxes for the rotary
plow and rototiller attachments. *...

Hey, me too. *A couple of years ago I cleaned out my shed of a bunch of
Gravely stuff that "I might need". *Parted out a tractor, or 2.
Whenever I put a wrench to one of those machines, I'm impressed. *Built
to last and they do.

The pinion gears are machined steel, but the ring cears are cast iron
- with no machining of the gear teeth. *...

That I haven't seen. *Every Gravely gear that I've seen had machined teeth.

Bob

The only non-machined Gravely gear I've seen is that large ring gear
in the rotary plow/tiller banjo housing. Normally the machining is
pretty good on their parts, and they do last.

They are impressive. Used mine this morning to clear 15" of snow off
the driveway with the plow blade. Plenty of power, and runs out of
traction first. Think I'll try to find a set of dual wheel adapters.

John Martin