Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Rusted gears usable?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 01:00:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:40:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Gunner, have you ever used a variable DC power supply and an ink
eraser to polish a worn commutator? I've done it to hundreds of vacuum
cleaner motors, as well as power tools. I connect the motor to the
power supply, then bring the voltage up slowly till the motor is
turning, slowly. Then I use the ink eraser to polish the copper
segments.

No, Ive not. Works well I take it?

If you don't have a power eraser handy, don't worry. The back end of
any #2 pencil will polish that commutator just as well and nearly as
quickly. Sand smooth with crocus or fine sandpaper, clean between the
segments with an ice pick, then polish with the eraser. Works like a
charm.

That old Wilton 4x6 bandsaw locked up on me the last time I tried to
use it. I guess I'll have to find a gearset for it after all. sigh

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.