Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Rusted gears usable?

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:40:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

I just "fixed" an elderly Milwaukee right angle Hole Hawg. Thing had
the power cord amputated at the handle, the trigger switch was cracked
into 2 pieces (JB Weld) and the reduction gears and bearings were
rusted into an amorphous mass. Found head down in a 5 gallon
bucket...under an eve.

I left it soaking head down..in a bucket of diesel for a couple weeks,
then hammered the gear cover off and the gears apart. All them needle
bearings...mass of rust. Wire wheeled the gears until I could see the
teeth again, soaked the head in PBlaster for another week, then
reassembled it. Sounds like a coffee can filled with #3 granite..but
since its only going to drill a few holes a year...I can live with it.
I shudder to think of what Milwaulkee will want for a complete bearing
package..and the armature needs a turning... so when it goes..it goes
into the circular file. But I figure the tired old bitch will smooth
out a little bit and then run for a few more years.

Gunner

Gunner, have you ever used a variable DC power supply and an ink
eraser to polish a worn commutator? I've done it to hundreds of vacuum
cleaner motors, as well as power tools. I connect the motor to the
power supply, then bring the voltage up slowly till the motor is
turning, slowly. Then I use the ink eraser to polish the copper
segments.

No, Ive not. Works well I take it?

Gunner