Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Toolpost rocking with cheap two bolt mount

I was making a cut-off last night with my Aloris AXA-77. After
reducing speed from 750rpm to 150rpm, and resetting the height of the
blade, things worked MUCH better, But as it got close to cut-off, it
grabbed a bit and the whole toolpost, compound slide, and clamp ring
ROCKED towards the workpiece... Now there's something you don't see
every day...

Still have to get a 4x6 bandsaw and a Set-Tru chuck. Most likely about
the start of February.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
I was making a cut-off last night with my Aloris AXA-77. After
reducing speed from 750rpm to 150rpm, and resetting the height of the
blade, things worked MUCH better, But as it got close to cut-off, it
grabbed a bit and the whole toolpost, compound slide, and clamp ring
ROCKED towards the workpiece... Now there's something you don't see
every day...

You don't mention the size/make of your lathe. I used to have Atlas-made
lathes, both 10" and later a 12". The compound of these was a bit
flexible, but it would still smash a cutoff blade or rip the work
out of the chuck rather than really flex things a whole bunch.
My 15" Sheldon does MUCH better at cutoff due to the enormous rigidity
of the carriage assembly on up. Mostly it just makes a big crunch and
the little roll of swarf that had bound up in the cut gets smashed and
it keeps right on cutting.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 7:14 am, Louis Ohland wrote:
I was making a cut-off last night with my Aloris AXA-77. After
reducing speed from 750rpm to 150rpm, and resetting the height of the
blade, things worked MUCH better, But as it got close to cut-off, it
grabbed a bit and the whole toolpost, compound slide, and clamp ring
ROCKED towards the workpiece... Now there's something you don't see
every day...

Still have to get a 4x6 bandsaw and a Set-Tru chuck. Most likely about
the start of February.

This is a Chinese copy of the old Emco design. My 7" Emcomat has done
similar moves. I have seen writing and prints of making a new ring
with 4 mounting bolts. I have also seen pictures of broken rings on
Emco machines. You might disassemble the whole thing and see if the
mounting ring had racks in it.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 8, 3:16 pm, " wrote:
On Jan 8, 7:14 am, Louis Ohland wrote:

I was making a cut-off last night with my Aloris AXA-77. After
reducing speed from 750rpm to 150rpm, and resetting the height of the
blade, things worked MUCH better, But as it got close to cut-off, it
grabbed a bit and the whole toolpost, compound slide, and clamp ring
ROCKED towards the workpiece... Now there's something you don't see
every day...

Still have to get a 4x6 bandsaw and a Set-Tru chuck. Most likely about
the start of February.

This is a Chinese copy of the old Emco design. My 7" Emcomat has done
similar moves. I have seen writing and prints of making a new ring
with 4 mounting bolts. I have also seen pictures of broken rings on
Emco machines. You might disassemble the whole thing and see if the
mounting ring had racks in it.

Paul

Oh, nuts! I mean "cracks in it"!!!!!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Might be you have the gibes a bit loose ? Too much slop on a normal day ?

If you run dry and hot - you can be welding the edge onto the work.
A little bur of melted stuff can stick on a corner of the cutter - and
then it grabs..

I never cross cut in a slot that is the width of the blade - no space
to have flex if it has to or take chips or whatever.

Cooling is best.

The -77 - it that the thin blade ?

Might be extending out to far also. I have snapped off the blade.
I use the carbide tip one and pick left, right or center cut.

Martin Sheldon 11x44 Aloris using AXA*

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Jon Elson wrote:

Louis Ohland wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in message
On Jan 8, 7:14 am, Louis Ohland wrote:
I was making a cut-off last night with my Aloris AXA-77. After
reducing speed from 750rpm to 150rpm, and resetting the height of the
blade, things worked MUCH better, But as it got close to cut-off, it
grabbed a bit and the whole toolpost, compound slide, and clamp ring
ROCKED towards the workpiece... Now there's something you don't see
every day...

Still have to get a 4x6 bandsaw and a Set-Tru chuck. Most likely about
the start of February.

This is a Chinese copy of the old Emco design. My 7" Emcomat has done
similar moves. I have seen writing and prints of making a new ring
with 4 mounting bolts. I have also seen pictures of broken rings on
Emco machines. You might disassemble the whole thing and see if the
mounting ring had racks in it.

Paul

I don't know this lathe, but I ran across some guy on e-bay selling mounting
rings for a lathe - they were supposed to be better and more wonderful -
maybe they are an upgrade that would be helpful - it was an auction that
closed today, probably no bids - looked like he was in the business of
making these things, whatever they are

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I leave it up to my Dad to set up the lathe (its his, anyways). But the
gibs seem tight. I'd have to czech.

Using an SGIH 19-2PS with .093 (IIRC) inserts. Blade is out about 3/4".

Cutting hot rolled steel with the gnarly looking resultant finish. The
welding might have happened, I'd have to look at the insert.

Note to all: An insert does not fully seat until you advance it into a
workpiece or tap it in using wood and a hammer.

Jon Elson wrote:

Louis Ohland wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cutting hot rolled steel with the gnarly looking resultant finish.

That's not uncommon for hot-rolled steel. One commenter here once
compared it to machining pink erasers...
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you can cool it some how or do pecking cuts it might improve greatly.
Cooling doesn't have to chill - just flood with oil and it will carry away
some heat.
Often I use WD-40 which does both light chilling and light oiling and light lube.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/