Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Toolpost rocking with cheap two bolt mount

Louis Ohland wrote:
I was making a cut-off last night with my Aloris AXA-77. After
reducing speed from 750rpm to 150rpm, and resetting the height of the
blade, things worked MUCH better, But as it got close to cut-off, it
grabbed a bit and the whole toolpost, compound slide, and clamp ring
ROCKED towards the workpiece... Now there's something you don't see
every day...

You don't mention the size/make of your lathe. I used to have Atlas-made
lathes, both 10" and later a 12". The compound of these was a bit
flexible, but it would still smash a cutoff blade or rip the work
out of the chuck rather than really flex things a whole bunch.
My 15" Sheldon does MUCH better at cutoff due to the enormous rigidity
of the carriage assembly on up. Mostly it just makes a big crunch and
the little roll of swarf that had bound up in the cut gets smashed and
it keeps right on cutting.

Jon