Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default video of my lathe

GLOAT

I see Camsoft just put my CHNC lathe up on their web site. Likely too much
trouble for most because you'll have to register and log in to see it.
Scroll down page to CHNC

http://www.cnccontrols.com/download.asp

That's me talking. Ever notice how you don't sound like yourself when you
see a video of yourself?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
GLOAT

I see Camsoft just put my CHNC lathe up on their web site. Likely too
much trouble for most because you'll have to register and log in to
see it. Scroll down page to CHNC

http://www.cnccontrols.com/download.asp

That's me talking. Ever notice how you don't sound like yourself when
you see a video of yourself?

Karl

I tried registering with camsoft but their wizard is blocked from
emailing me. go figure. I'll take my business elsewhere.

I don't sound like myself in person.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

I see Camsoft just put my CHNC lathe up on their web site. Likely too much
trouble for most because you'll have to register and log in to see it.
Scroll down page to CHNC

I hate sites that want your life history to look around. The Bobcad saleman
has finally quit calling me....

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think it looked or sounded like you, Karl. BOTOH, I don't know
what you look or sound like.

Bob Swinney

When my son was a teenager, he could have given a strong opinion on what I
looked and sounded like. VBG Fortunately, he's 25 now and I've learned
teenager is a temporary condition that only lasts ten years or so.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Karl,

I have a OEM 15" CNC lathe with servos that has eaten something in the
controls's, and it is a 1985 system, so it isn't up to today's
standards anyways. I haven't done anything about it for 4 years, but
I'm getting to the stage of this move to anew house that I just might
have an interest.

Did you do the upgrade to Camsoft? If so, would you mind giving me
some details, off group if you would prefer.

Was this an OEM NC or CNC lathe originally?
How long did it take to do what?
Approximately what did it cost?

Appreciate any info your care to part with.

Take care. Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 04:22:32 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

GLOAT

I see Camsoft just put my CHNC lathe up on their web site. Likely too much
trouble for most because you'll have to register and log in to see it.
Scroll down page to CHNC

http://www.cnccontrols.com/download.asp

That's me talking. Ever notice how you don't sound like yourself when you
see a video of yourself?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Did you do the upgrade to Camsoft? If so, would you mind giving me
some details, off group if you would prefer.

Was this an OEM NC or CNC lathe originally?
How long did it take to do what?
Approximately what did it cost?

The last few years, my metalworking hobby has been more about upgrading old
CNC machines to Camsoft than making chips. I've done three machines and
helped on others.

The Camsoft software is expensive - $4K. It uses a Galil computer on a card
that is expensive - $2K to $4K new. You also need I/O cards and Opto22
boards and modules for all input and output. I've found that all of these
items can be purchased on eBay for a tiny fraction of new. For the Hardinge
CHNC, I paid $2K for the iron and about $1.5K for the control parts. Then
bought the machine again getting it fully tooled. Probably six months of
work over a 1 1/2 year period.

This is a higher end control route for professional refits of machines with
toolchangers. There is a much lower cost hobby grade CNC control, Mach3,
that I would look at first for your needs.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I hate sites that want your life history to look around. The Bobcad
saleman
has finally quit calling me....

Doug Higgins? want his cell #?
Stupendous Man
Defender of Liberty, Advocate of Justice

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 31, 6:09 am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
This is a higher end control route for professional refits of machines with
toolchangers. There is a much lower cost hobby grade CNC control, Mach3,
that I would look at first for your needs.

And if you want to go completely free (at least software wise), there
is the open source EMC2 system, which runs a special kernel of Ubuntu
Linux. Originally developed by NIST, the EMC project is constantly
changing and improving. I use it to drive my CNC Taig milling
machine, and I know people who are using it on their CNC'd
Bridgeports, Seig X3's, and one guy who uses it to drive his 8'x16'
CNC plasma cutter (watching that thing cut 2" steel plate is an
interesting experience!).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote:

Doug Higgins? want his cell #?

Sound familiar. Since I work midnights, his calls were particularly
annoying.

Hey, I could call him at 4 am from work!

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

The Camsoft software is expensive - $4K. It uses a Galil computer on a card
that is expensive - $2K to $4K new. You also need I/O cards and Opto22
boards and modules for all input and output. I've found that all of these
items can be purchased on eBay for a tiny fraction of new. For the Hardinge
CHNC, I paid $2K for the iron and about $1.5K for the control parts. Then
bought the machine again getting it fully tooled. Probably six months of
work over a 1 1/2 year period.

Galil brings back memories. I used a few DMC 720's years ago to run some
contraptions made out of two crossed thompson slides and various other bits
to apply hot melt glue to the edge of package trays (that thing in your back
window) before folding the carpet over the edge.

I had a few communications with Dr Tal as I managed to find and document a
few bugs in their firmware. Galil was pretty quick sending me new roms with
the fixes.

Wes