Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Truck crane lubrication

The truck crane that I have, is comprised of two parts, one is bolted
to the truck bed and has a round vertical column, and the second part
slides over the column and swivels. It has a lubrication port for a
grease gun.

I want to put some grease in it, so that it does not rust inside, and
also swivels more easily. My question is what grease to put. I
generally have been using green marine grease everywhere, for example
in casters that I keep outdoors 100% of time.

Would this also be appropriate here, given our cold winters.

By the way, the crane is supremely useful and I regret my wasted youth
and all those years when I did not have this crane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 9:57 am, Ignoramus28147 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28147.invalid wrote:

I want to put some grease in it, so that it does not rust inside, and
also swivels more easily. My question is what grease to put. I
generally have been using green marine grease everywhere, for example
in casters that I keep outdoors 100% of time.

Lubriplate marine lower unit grease? Works for me. I made wide tread
replacement wheels for the industrial lifting equipment that I store
and use outdoors and it has kept the welding-rod needle bearings from
rusting. I drilled grease passages in the axle bolts and pump the
bearings full for the winter because the back yard floods in the
spring.

I don't think you want the crane to swivel too easily. If you park on
a slope nose-down the load is likely to bang into the truck.

By the way, the crane is supremely useful and I regret my wasted youth
and all those years when I did not have this crane.

A pickup truck crane is really handy for working on outdoor power
equipment. I've added lifting eyes to my lawnmower etc so I can put
them on the tailgate when they need maintenance.

It's a 1950's motorized reel mower which needs frequent oiling and
occasional home-made replacement parts.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28147 wrote:
The truck crane that I have, is comprised of two parts, one is bolted
to the truck bed and has a round vertical column, and the second part
slides over the column and swivels. It has a lubrication port for a
grease gun.

I want to put some grease in it, so that it does not rust inside, and
also swivels more easily. My question is what grease to put. I

That's a very clever use of grease. I wish I could find a liquid that
could be used to reduce friction between moving parts. I wonder what it
would be called.

generally have been using green marine grease everywhere, for example
in casters that I keep outdoors 100% of time.

Would this also be appropriate here, given our cold winters.

No. You should use wd-40 on your crane parts. Be sure to remove all the
old grease first.

By the way, the crane is supremely useful and I regret my wasted youth
and all those years when I did not have this crane.

Discovering a crane is very clever. I'd like to share with you a secret.
It's called a "ladder". It has helped me not waste my youth by helping me
reach things that are too high up.

If you ask around enough, you too may be able to obtain a "ladder".
They're supremely useful to have.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

28147.invalid wrote:

I want to put some grease in it, so that it does not rust inside, and
also swivels more easily. My question is what grease to put. I
generally have been using green marine grease everywhere, for example
in casters that I keep outdoors 100% of time.

Lubriplate marine lower unit grease? Works for me. I made wide tread
replacement wheels for the industrial lifting equipment that I store
and use outdoors and it has kept the welding-rod needle bearings from
rusting. I drilled grease passages in the axle bolts and pump the
bearings full for the winter because the back yard floods in the
spring.

Yes, I mean that green clingy stuff. Just like for you, it works very well.

I don't think you want the crane to swivel too easily. If you park on
a slope nose-down the load is likely to bang into the truck.

Good point.

By the way, the crane is supremely useful and I regret my wasted youth
and all those years when I did not have this crane.

A pickup truck crane is really handy for working on outdoor power
equipment. I've added lifting eyes to my lawnmower etc so I can put
them on the tailgate when they need maintenance.

It's a 1950's motorized reel mower which needs frequent oiling and
occasional home-made replacement parts.

How did you mount your crane? Is your crane the same kind?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: (clip) If you ask around enough, you too may be
able to obtain a "ladder".
They're supremely useful to have.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a couple of those. Should I stop using grease on them, and use WD-40
instead? Many members of this group seem to think that WD-40 is not a good
product.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 19, 10:46 am, Ignoramus28147 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28147.invalid wrote:
How did you mount your crane? Is your crane the same kind?

It's the shorter, cheaper one without a winch. I made a post extension
for lifting bulky appliances and added a boat trailer winch but
normally use it without them. The winch handle is dangerous.

It's mounted on crosswise beams attached to the Ranger's bed bolts,
which install from above.

Spring compression and bending of the mount limit it to about 700Lbs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: (clip) If you ask around enough, you too may be
able to obtain a "ladder".
They're supremely useful to have.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a couple of those. Should I stop using grease on them, and use WD-40
instead? Many members of this group seem to think that WD-40 is not a good
product.

All your problems will go away if you use Kroil...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: (clip) If you ask around enough, you too may be
able to obtain a "ladder".
They're supremely useful to have.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a couple of those. Should I stop using grease on them, and use WD-40
instead? Many members of this group seem to think that WD-40 is not a good
product.

I would use green marine grease on my ladders. I use green marine grease
on everything. I have stored aluminum ladders outside, and they have never
rusted. I think it is because of the marine grease.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: (clip) If you ask around enough, you too may be
able to obtain a "ladder".
They're supremely useful to have.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a couple of those. Should I stop using grease on them, and use WD-40
instead? Many members of this group seem to think that WD-40 is not a good
product.

I would use green marine grease on my ladders. I use green marine grease
on everything. I have stored aluminum ladders outside, and they have never
rusted. I think it is because of the marine grease.

I know a lot of Marines, and none of them are rusty.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: I know a lot of Marines, and none of them are
rusty.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, really? Have you asked them anything about algebra, trig or English
grammar?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-19, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I would use green marine grease on my ladders. I use green marine grease
on everything. I have stored aluminum ladders outside, and they have never
rusted. I think it is because of the marine grease.

I know a lot of Marines, and none of them are rusty.

Are any of them greasy, though?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: I know a lot of Marines, and none of them are
rusty.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Oh, really? Have you asked them anything about algebra, trig or English
grammar?

I know a couple who were engineers who are quite good in those
fields. if you don't beleive me, come to Florida and ask them for
yourself.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus28147 wrote:

Are any of them greasy, though?

No, iggy. They were all taught them to clean up, after a hard day's
work. A skillset some others should learn.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Pictures -- installed Harbor Freight truck crane today Ignoramus19423 Metalworking 24 November 27th 07 11:35 PM
HF truck crane Ignoramus10340 Metalworking 31 November 3rd 07 02:23 PM
TS Lubrication TinWoodsmn Woodworking 16 April 17th 06 06:41 PM
Truck for sale... '99 Isuzu FTR - (It's Metal related because it's a MANLY TRUCK, and we're manly men here!!!!) RainLover Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 07:40 PM