Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28147 Ignoramus28147 is offline

Default Truck crane lubrication

On 2007-12-19, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Dec 19, 9:57 am, Ignoramus28147 ignoramus28...@NOSPAM.
28147.invalid wrote:

I want to put some grease in it, so that it does not rust inside, and
also swivels more easily. My question is what grease to put. I
generally have been using green marine grease everywhere, for example
in casters that I keep outdoors 100% of time.

Lubriplate marine lower unit grease? Works for me. I made wide tread
replacement wheels for the industrial lifting equipment that I store
and use outdoors and it has kept the welding-rod needle bearings from
rusting. I drilled grease passages in the axle bolts and pump the
bearings full for the winter because the back yard floods in the
spring.

Yes, I mean that green clingy stuff. Just like for you, it works very well.

I don't think you want the crane to swivel too easily. If you park on
a slope nose-down the load is likely to bang into the truck.

Good point.

By the way, the crane is supremely useful and I regret my wasted youth
and all those years when I did not have this crane.

A pickup truck crane is really handy for working on outdoor power
equipment. I've added lifting eyes to my lawnmower etc so I can put
them on the tailgate when they need maintenance.

It's a 1950's motorized reel mower which needs frequent oiling and
occasional home-made replacement parts.

How did you mount your crane? Is your crane the same kind?