Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What's it called??

--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one? Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one?

I call 'em a rain cap. There at all the Fleet Farm stores in our area. In
the tractor exhaust parts area. All of mine just have a clamp and bolt to
attach.

Or, if you want, go to the John Deere dealer. You could get the same thing
for four times the money. Then its worth a lot more to you VBG

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:
--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one? Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

I don't know what it's called but I think it's to keep rain out. I've
seen some tractors sitting out with tin cans over the ends.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"steamer" wrote in message
--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one?

Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

It's called a "rain cap" and, among other places, Tractor Supply has them.
But I think the closest Tractor Supply to you is in Ukiah...

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 09 Dec 2007 17:57:25 GMT, steamer wrote:
--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one? Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

Any Farm & Fleet or tractor supply type place will have 'em. Not sure
what the official name is though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, "rain caps". come in 1/4" increments in the small sizes, 1/2"
increments in the larger sizes. I was looking at the display last week,
needed a new muffler for the tractor.

Karl Townsend wrote:
--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one?

I call 'em a rain cap. There at all the Fleet Farm stores in our area. In
the tractor exhaust parts area. All of mine just have a clamp and bolt to
attach.

Or, if you want, go to the John Deere dealer. You could get the same thing
for four times the money. Then its worth a lot more to you VBG

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 09 Dec 2007 17:57:25 GMT, steamer wrote:
--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on
top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one?
Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

Any Farm & Fleet or tractor supply type place will have 'em. Not sure
what the official name is though.

exhaust weather cap

http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/exhau...ps_616_ctg.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one? Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

Rain cover. Rain cap

http://www.tractorpart.com/massey_ha...s_raincap.html

Ask at the local farm supply place.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think every semi-tractor I have ever seen has one. So you might go to a
place that sells truck parts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.

I've seen some tractors sitting out with tin cans over the ends.

Dad does this. There were a few times growing up when I forgot to
remove it when starting the tractor--amazing how much height you could
get out of it!
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one? Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

I always called then "rain caps". I dont think they were welded on,
some sort of bolt clamp.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark S. wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

On 09 Dec 2007 17:57:25 GMT, steamer wrote:

--If you look at an old tractor or other heavy equipment that has
the exhaust going straight up there's usually a little flapper cap on
top.
Anyone know the proper name of these things and where I might get one?
Plan
B is make my own but I'd just as soon buy one and just weld it on..

Any Farm & Fleet or tractor supply type place will have 'em. Not sure
what the official name is though.

exhaust weather cap

http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/exhau...ps_616_ctg.htm

Boy now we are getting sophisticated, are you sure it's not
"chapeau" ? :-) cap seem pretty blah!
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote: Boy now we are getting sophisticated, are you sure
it's not
"chapeau" ? :-) cap seem pretty blah!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Or "capote?"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:03:16 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

,;
,;"Lew Hartswick" wrote: Boy now we are getting sophisticated, are you sure
,;it's not
,; "chapeau" ? :-) cap seem pretty blah!
,;^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
,;Or "capote?"

That reminds me of a very old joke.

This American whose knowledge of French was elementary at best had
married a French woman and had been living in France. His wife died
and the husband needed an outfit to wear to the funeral. The American
asked a friend where he could get a black capote. Since the friend
knew that they were not readily available he finally asked the
American why he needed a black capote. The American replied that he
wanted to wear it to the funeral. The French friend replied "Oh such
sweet sentiment".

Now I am sure that story tells much better in French.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

exhaust weather cap

http://www.tractorpartsinc.com/exhau...ps_616_ctg.htm

Boy now we are getting sophisticated, are you sure it's not
"chapeau" ? :-) cap seem pretty blah!
...lew...

Next thing you know they will be calling a zipper a fastener, interlocking,
slide. Oh, sorry, I believe that is how it was listed in the last GSA
catalog I saw.

http://www.gsa.gov/gsa/cm_attachment...DZ-i34K-pR.pdf

Googling shows nothing changed in the last thirty years.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

If you want a 4" one. Semis exhaust stacks have a pretty large
diameter.
Of all the Semi-tractors I've seen with rain caps on the tops of the
stacks, I only saw one that was installed correctly. It should be put
on so the wind holds the cap up in the open position. The hinge pin
should be slightly back from strait out to the side.
Every one I ever seen had the hinge pin in the front so the wind tried
to close the cap while the exhaust tried to open it. All except for
one.
Don't see many anymore. They all have the curved stacks cuz the rain
caps kept going clank clank clank all night when they was trying to
sleep.

What's it called? Steve B Home Repair 12 May 26th 06 02:16 AM
What Is It Called John UK diy 6 May 9th 06 09:29 PM
what is it called? ron UK diy 14 April 4th 06 10:16 AM
What is this called and where can I get them. mm Home Repair 12 March 15th 06 03:01 PM
What is it called? Chuck Olson Metalworking 13 July 31st 05 08:48 PM