Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tool gloat!

Spotted an estate sale in the paper touting machinist tools.
Got there late as I mistakenly turned off on a similarly
named street, so when I arrived, it was a struggle to decide
what to look at first, as I see guys already paying for
stuff I would have bought. I scored a nice Dake model 1-1/2
ratcheting arbor press for $30! 3 ton capacity, retails for
$880 in MSC. I'm happy with that!

But as I was looking around trying to decide what to lay
claim to next, I hesitated a bit too long and missed out on
a nice little Barker horizontal mill with collets and
tooling that went for $150. Dang...

And there was a large plastic tub half full of quick change
lathe tool holders and tool post. All home made, but very
nicely done, almost commercial quality. That got grabbed
while I was scoping out a watchmaker's lathe trying to
decide if I really had a use for it.

However, scored some other nice little misc tools. And in
talking to the folks running it, learned there's a nice late
40's Logan buried in the garage. Left my number, I'll get a
private shot at that in a few weeks. All and all, not a bad
Saturday morning...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:04:16 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

I went to one of those last Friday. People were everywhere pawin'
through all kinds of goodies; tools, Harley parts, etc. It would have
been great fun except it was a dear old friends stuff. A guy I called
a Brother, who died unexpectedly. His vulture sisters had a company
sell off his "crap" so they could sell th' house. It made me wanna
puke!

Hope you guys all have a will so that doesn't happen to your "crap".

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just hope that when I pass on my wife doesn't sell any of my
stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not sure a will would have changed anything. Unless it was very detailed
in designating where "everything" went his sisters might still have ended up
with
all his stuff and had to get rid of it. I've seen it enough times where our
possessions only become a burden for those who are left behind.

Bruce

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DanG" wrote:

I just hope that when I pass on my wife doesn't sell any of my
stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

I just hope my siblings and nephews (and a niece that all position welds)
want some of the stuff.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
His vulture sisters had a company
sell off his "crap" so they could sell th' house. It made me wanna
puke!

Hope you guys all have a will so that doesn't happen to your "crap".

Snarl

I "warned" my wife to be careful if I bite the big one. Told her to find
current retail pieces of all my major tools, and ask 3/4ths of new for it
and haggle from there. I occasionally see good tools going for garage sale
prices, but not often enough!! ;-)
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TMN TMN is offline

On Nov 25, 1:28 am, "DanG" wrote:
I just hope that when I pass on my wife doesn't sell any of my
stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Ha ha thats a good one !!

Tim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
[...]

Darn. I saw that on craigslist and then promptly forgot about it.

Fred