Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC Guys Question...

Anyone out there have a CNC autoloader compatible tapping head, multiple
spindle head, right angle head, etc. that they are not using? I'd like to
buy / rent / borrow it... I need to learn about the devices and one in the
hand is worth three on the internet or whatever the saying is.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Joe,

CNC makes tapping heads rather redundant. You just program in what
you want.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:23:05 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

Anyone out there have a CNC autoloader compatible tapping head, multiple
spindle head, right angle head, etc. that they are not using? I'd like to
buy / rent / borrow it... I need to learn about the devices and one in the
hand is worth three on the internet or whatever the saying is.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
Hey Joe,

CNC makes tapping heads rather redundant. You just program in what
you want.

I know that... But TapMatic makes heads with a CATxx taper and stabilizer
rod of sorts for CNC-type equipment so I figure there has to be some reason
for 'em...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
"Brian Lawson" wrote in message

Hey Joe,

CNC makes tapping heads rather redundant. You just program in what
you want.

I know that... But TapMatic makes heads with a CATxx taper and stabilizer
rod of sorts for CNC-type equipment so I figure there has to be some reason
for 'em...

They are for machines which don't have a spindle encoder, and
therefore can't do rigid tapping. (They are also useful on
machines with very heavy spindles and motors, where frequent
rapid reversing of the spindle might overheat the motor or
drive.) I use a Procunier 15000 "CNC" tapping head on my
Bridgeport retrofit, as I don't have a spindle encoder.
It works great, but is HUGE. I have to lower the table almost a
FOOT to accomodate the length. I suspect many toolchangers
can't acommodate a tool so large in diameter and length. The
TapMatics are a little smaller. These things don't make a heck
of a lot of sense for toolchanger setups, anyway. At $800 each,
you really can't afford to have a half dozen on the carousel
with different taps in them.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They are for machines which don't have a spindle encoder, and therefore
can't do rigid tapping. (They are also useful on machines with very heavy
spindles and motors, where frequent rapid reversing of the spindle might
overheat the motor or drive.) I use a Procunier 15000 "CNC" tapping head
on my Bridgeport retrofit, as I don't have a spindle encoder.
It works great, but is HUGE. I have to lower the table almost a FOOT to
accomodate the length. I suspect many toolchangers can't acommodate a
tool so large in diameter and length. The TapMatics are a little smaller.
These things don't make a heck of a lot of sense for toolchanger setups,
anyway. At $800 each, you really can't afford to have a half dozen on the
carousel with different taps in them.

Thanks for the info. Learning more every day!

I've got what I believe is an old Procunier 21048-1 (If I could read it
better, I'd be sure, but BOY is it gunked up!) lead screw tapper attachment.
It's at least 12", possibly 14" tall and looks to be quite ... er... unique
as far as how they do stuff. It has a physical input for a drive, an
electrical input and a pneumatic input. Seems like a lot of work to simply
add a lead screw assembly to another existing machine... But I suppose it
is needed when tapping softer, small thread parts.

I can't possibly imagine putting this particular head on much of anything...

I suppose it fills its' niche, but I can't imagine that the niche is large
enough to justify the design unless these things sell for $5,000 a piece.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Joe,

You are correct, and I was wrong. There is a use for tapping-heads on
CNC mills. Even if the CNC machine does have a G-code tap cycle, it
is preferred to use a tapping head in case something goes wrong!!
(Imagine that ever happening!!) The tapping head will release.

My first reply was off the cuff, and what I meant was that there are
many machines that use the 30-40-50 tapers that are not CNC, and that
while the tapping head would be required, the taper itself is not
special.

Maybe I still don't understand exactly what it is you are asking
about, but since I do NOT have a tapping head available, it is a
non-starter and I should just keep my nose out of it.

Sorry Joe. Good luck with it anyway. Hope somebody else has better
answers than I.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:14:47 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
.. .
Hey Joe,

CNC makes tapping heads rather redundant. You just program in what
you want.

I know that... But TapMatic makes heads with a CATxx taper and stabilizer
rod of sorts for CNC-type equipment so I figure there has to be some reason
for 'em...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry Joe. Good luck with it anyway. Hope somebody else has better
answers than I.

No apologies needed...

To give it context, I'm trying to learn more about the adapter that goes
between the tapping heads, angle heads, MSHeads, etc and the CATxx taper,
etc. The thing that makes it "auto-loadable"
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

This One Of You Guys? J T Woodworking 6 April 23rd 06 01:56 AM
A question for the HVAC guys [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 31st 05 04:59 PM
AC ? Are these guys trying to rip me off? Capri Home Repair 16 October 27th 05 06:34 AM
Cyclone question for you guys Jeff Woodworking 6 March 28th 05 03:30 PM
you guys pay too much Rwalling Woodturning 1 March 5th 05 07:39 PM