Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Should I change to 1 PH motor or by converter for 3 ph motor

I just got an older surface grinder that has a real new 1 hp 3 ph motor. I
don't have 3 ph and I'm wondering if I should just buy another motor with a
1 ph, or should I buy the converter. I was told that with the converter I
will lose about 1/3 of the rated hp. Any advise is appreciated....Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You want a VFD for that grinder. Dealers Electric or Automation Direct, both
are good places to order from.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-11-14, PeterM wrote:
I just got an older surface grinder that has a real new 1 hp 3 ph motor. I
don't have 3 ph and I'm wondering if I should just buy another motor with a
1 ph, or should I buy the converter. I was told that with the converter I
will lose about 1/3 of the rated hp. Any advise is appreciated....Peter

With a rotary phase converter, or an electronic variable frequency
drive, you will not lose any rated HP.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

You want a VFD for that grinder.

Q: And why?
A: A 3ph runs much smoother. Something you want for a grinding wheel.
Q: But ...
A: ... you also can change cutting speed. Now buy a VFD!

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 10:39 pm, "PeterM" wrote:
I just got an older surface grinder that has a real new 1 hp 3 ph motor. I
don't have 3 ph and I'm wondering if I should just buy another motor with a
1 ph, or should I buy the converter. I was told that with the converter I
will lose about 1/3 of the rated hp. Any advise is appreciated....Peter

A replacement 1 phase motor may or may not increase vibration and
cause visible patterning in the ground surface. If you use the grinder
to sharpen tools you won't even notice.

I bought a VERY worn Delta Toolmaker for $50 plus $50 for the mag
chuck, put a 1 phase TEFC Brazilian motor on it and lived happily ever
after, but I wouldn't use it for a paying job unless the customer was
a mechanical engineer who understood and accepted it.

Jim Wilkins

Hey Nick, "Once upon a time" is "Es war einmal", but what is "lived
happily ever after"? ... froelich immer wieder? Yeah, we learn German
and Russian fairy tales as kids.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Schoenen Dank fuer die antwort, I also learned German, funny how good it
sounds. Anyway, Thanks for all the information about my original question. I
forgot to mention one thing. The mag chuck says it is 110 volt DC, and it
has a separate plug a grounded 110volt plug. The Mag chuck is a Magna -Lock
HR612 and plugs into a Electro-Matic Rectifier. I have no idea what that is,
does that device change the 110v AC to a DC? Don't laugh, I just don't know.
Again any help is appreciated. I wish I could get a free manual for it,
there is a place that will sell me one for 49.- ......Thanks......Peter
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PeterM wrote:

but what is "lived happily ever after"?

"Und wenn er nicht gestorben ist, dann lebt er heute noch".
That's how the stories end.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It depends on several factors and you don't supply enough information.

1. What make/model is the grinder, and can it easily accept a inexpensive
replacement motor?

2. Do you think theres a chance you will need to run more 3 phase equipment?

"PeterM" wrote in message
news
I just got an older surface grinder that has a real new 1 hp 3 ph motor. I
don't have 3 ph and I'm wondering if I should just buy another motor with a
1 ph, or should I buy the converter. I was told that with the converter I
will lose about 1/3 of the rated hp. Any advise is appreciated....Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Should I change to 1 PH motor - Hijacked German translation thread

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:39:28 +0100, Nick Mueller
wrote:

PeterM wrote:

but what is "lived happily ever after"?

"Und wenn er nicht gestorben ist, dann lebt er heute noch".
That's how the stories end.

Nick

"If he isn't dead, then he's still living today" is the literal
translation. Is that really the sense it's intended to convey?

and why in the world do they sing Bist Du Bei Mir at weddings here in
the US when it's a funeral hymn.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

PeterM wrote:

but what is "lived happily ever after"?

"Und wenn er nicht gestorben ist, dann lebt er heute noch".
That's how the stories end.

Nick

"If he isn't dead, then he's still living today" is the literal
translation. Is that really the sense it's intended to convey?

and why in the world do they sing Bist Du Bei Mir at weddings here in
the US when it's a funeral hymn.

RWL

Entirely appropriate from a bachelor's point of
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote:

and why in the world do they sing Bist Du Bei Mir at weddings here in

That's OT now (for the second time). I've sent you an eMail.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de