Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Taper Lock Bushes

Has anyone used plain adapters with taper lock bushes?

Here is a link:

http://www.fptgroup.com/products/taperlockbushes.asp

and a .pdf of the plain adapters.

http://www.fptgroup.com/downloads/ta...s-adaptors.pdf

They aren't available in Australia anymore, I'd have to get them
imported. I'm not sure why they haven't been popular. If they work
well, I can't see any reason for not using them.

In the meantime I'll use weld on hubs.

I had considered machining the component to be mounted to suit the
taper, but I think it will be much easier to buy the adapter part off
the shelf.

Cheers, Dom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dom wrote:
Has anyone used plain adapters with taper lock bushes?

They aren't available in Australia anymore

Do you mean these? :

http://www.wwindustrial.com.au/Power%20Transmission.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 12:38 am, Dom wrote:
Has anyone used plain adapters with taper lock bushes?

Here is a link:

http://www.fptgroup.com/products/taperlockbushes.asp

and a .pdf of the plain adapters.

http://www.fptgroup.com/downloads/ta...s-adaptors.pdf

They aren't available in Australia anymore, I'd have to get them
imported. I'm not sure why they haven't been popular. If they work
well, I can't see any reason for not using them.

In the meantime I'll use weld on hubs.

I had considered machining the component to be mounted to suit the
taper, but I think it will be much easier to buy the adapter part off
the shelf.

Cheers, Dom.

Not those, but similar ones. They are expensive and the axial shift
makes aligning pulleys a pain but otherwise they're OK and they seem
to take torsional vibration a lot better than setscrewed keys.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Dom,

I don't recall the ones you reference, but I do see similar here with
their mates under the Browning product line.

http://www.emerson-ept.com/default.asp

I've only ever used these "split hubs", and they are still available
here.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario, Canada.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:38:31 -0800, Dom
wrote:

Has anyone used plain adapters with taper lock bushes?

Here is a link:

http://www.fptgroup.com/products/taperlockbushes.asp

and a .pdf of the plain adapters.

http://www.fptgroup.com/downloads/ta...s-adaptors.pdf

They aren't available in Australia anymore, I'd have to get them
imported. I'm not sure why they haven't been popular. If they work
well, I can't see any reason for not using them.

In the meantime I'll use weld on hubs.

I had considered machining the component to be mounted to suit the
taper, but I think it will be much easier to buy the adapter part off
the shelf.

Cheers, Dom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 13, 9:18 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Not those, but similar ones. They are expensive and the axial shift
makes aligning pulleys a pain but otherwise they're OK and they seem
to take torsional vibration a lot better than setscrewed keys.

Jim Wilkins-

Jim, I haven't had any trouble aligning pulleys with taperlocks. The
collet will always bite on the shaft first, then the hub will pull
in. This will normally be about 2-3mm. As an apprentice, I did break
some, when trying to fit the collet to a shaft; it just split in
half!. It's always wise to assemble the hub and collet loosely when
fitting to the shaft. In operation, I have never seen a taper lock
fail. I guess they are a little expensive, but the savings in
assembly time, and simplified shaft ends outweigh this easily.

Dom.