Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF truck crane

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I have this one and it has been great. I haven't tried it for a full
half ton yet, though. I cut a hole in the bed and welded angle iron to
a bracket on the frame for strength.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1647

If I had it todo over, I'd go with the 37555.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10340" wrote in message
Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

No, yes, and yes.

First of all, I have not used the crane. Yet, by optical examination, it
seems borderline.

I was Offshore Petroleum Institute certified rigger, and ran a 30 ton crane
on an offshore drilling platform for more than two years, so I have a LITTLE
bit of experience.

The weak points a

Steel: HF and the Chicoms are advancing in their metallurgy, and the
hardness of their steel is improving. Things that would wear out a few
years ago are lasting longer now. It all depends on the application. Hard
use will bring out the weak points FAST.

Examine the working loads. Just because the unit is rated at 1,000#, it
will last far longer if you only use it to lift 250 or 500, or even 750
occasionally than 1,000 24/7.

Watch the connections. The terminal sockets, the cable ends that have the
sockets either pressed on there, or (correctly) have them poured with molten
metal are subject to coming off. The sheaves (rollers) are subject to wear
and failure. Easily replaced, but catastrophic if not noticed in time
before failure mode. Replace roller pins with #8 grade bolts.

They're like come-a-longs. Good ones, you just go out and use. Cheap ones,
you have to watch and repair as you go along.

This unit may do well and serve you a long time. But keep an eye on it, and
service whenever and wherever you notice wear.

One last thing.

Lots of people over rate their pickups. The basal mounting and the mounting
to the side wall are critical. Leverage is everything, and even the
absolute spendiest best davit (which is what this is essentially , a davit,
not the best and spendiest) will pull out with the right leverage in a
millisecond while you are watching it do so. So, be aware of your loads,
your angles, and such. BTW, the way this is pictured with the base
attached, and not the mast to the sidewall of the truck is an accident
waiting to happen, and I don't think would lift my mother-in-law safely.
Some lateral bracing would be appropriate, inexpensive, and entirely
correct.

Again, I'm no expert. I've just seen a lot of stuff work and a lot of stuff
fail. These are the strong points I see and the weak ones, too. Mainly
realize that this is no stiff leg or A frame that will lift a lot of weight.
And even one of those has to be level or it gets hairy.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I have this one and it has been great. I haven't tried it for a full
half ton yet, though. I cut a hole in the bed and welded angle iron to
a bracket on the frame for strength.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1647

If I had it todo over, I'd go with the 37555.

Larry, thanks. Just curious how the bed would hold up to this crane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, Gary Owens wrote:
I've got one, and used it until I sold the pickup. It worked. but was a pain
in the butt to use. You must have a truck with suspension that can handle
it. you need to secure it to the frame, not the truck floor. Lifting a small
V8 into the back of a Ranger was an experience. I ended putting jack stands
under the rear of the truck. The unit performed as advertized, the truck
didn't.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup, so I think that it would hold up to 1,000 lbs.

However, I am not sure if the bed would.

"Ignoramus10340" wrote in message
Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, SteveB wrote:

[...]

Yes, great points on safety and ratings. I was mostly going to use it
for 200-400 lbs stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, SteveB wrote:

[...]

For that weight range, I would use it myself, BUT, I would still put in the
lateral bracing, and when bolting it to the bed, realize that truck beds are
only slightly stonger than aluminum foil.

Any time you can brace or bracket it over to a frame member, the better. No
problem for a metal worker.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've got one - you may have seen the grey Dodge with the Orange pole
in the back around. It is OK but:
1/ mounting it to the box bottom even with reinforcement doesn't cut
it. I have to re-do mine one of these days. The boom has been off
for months now since it broke the welds in the box.
2/ the winch is very poor quality - I stripped it - I can't think what
I was doing at the time - maybe trying to get the B&S surface grinder
off the pallet at about about 700lbs I think. (I didn't have an
engine hoist at the time.)

Other than that I think pretty good for the price.

Cheers,
rem

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, Ignoramus10340
wrote:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I agree with pretty much everything SteveB says but don't attach it to
the side of a common pickup truck at the back - I know from experience
that a side force here will quickly impare the usefullness of the tail
gate. Been there done that - I didn't attach it but I did have it
lean over against it. It was a lot harder it seems to get the side
back to where the gate would latch than it seemed to be to push it
out.

It is cheap steel - the pins wear and the winch is made from butter
but for the price? There are a lot better ones out there I know. Be
careful of the winch - when they strip they can be interesting - mine
jammed fortunately but I was only at 1/2 load I think.

rem
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 19:24:17 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"Ignoramus10340" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus10340 wrote in
:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I had one. The cable snapped (I can't estimate the load). Luckily, no one
was hurt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rob Morden" wrote in message
snip-----

2/ the winch is very poor quality - I stripped it - I can't think what
I was doing at the time - maybe trying to get the B&S surface grinder
off the pallet at about about 700lbs I think. (I didn't have an
engine hoist at the time.)

You sure about that 700 pounds? B&S didn't make lousy equipment, which
means that a surface grinder, for which they have a respectable reputation,
would likely weigh in more like 3,000 pounds.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 29, 10:02 pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I have this one and it has been great.

.....http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?
Itemnumber=1647

I bought the smaller one from Homier and made a removeable 4" pipe
extension and winch mount plus end pulley like the tall one for
appliances. Since you stand on the ground to operate the short one and
in the bed for the taller one, the short one is easier to operate on
sloping ground where the load wants to swing and the taller one is
better for stuffing in several pieces of heavy equipment, like moving
a friend's machine shop. The short one is fine for single items.

It mounts on steel cross bars held by the bed bolts so I didn't have
to modify the truck at all. Both the mounting bars and the suspension
of my Ranger were maxed out lifting a 700 Lb oak log behind the truck,
although they took it better within the bed.

It's a handy thing to have when welding up something heavy or to lift
a lawnmower or snow thrower up onto the tailgate to work on them.

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:59:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

On 2007-10-30, Gary Owens wrote:
I've got one, and used it until I sold the pickup. It worked. but was a pain
in the butt to use. You must have a truck with suspension that can handle
it. you need to secure it to the frame, not the truck floor. Lifting a small
V8 into the back of a Ranger was an experience. I ended putting jack stands
under the rear of the truck. The unit performed as advertized, the truck
didn't.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup, so I think that it would hold up to 1,000 lbs.

However, I am not sure if the bed would.

A Ford bed will, but I'm not sure about a Dodgy, er, Dodge bed, Ig.
Truck frames aren't built to support that kind of lateral stress,
either, though. It's all a crap shoot unless you use a 1T truck with a
utility bed on it. They're heavily built to handle the stresses.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
-- Etty Hillesum
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:58:36 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,

On 2007-10-30, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:36:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

I have this one and it has been great. I haven't tried it for a full
half ton yet, though. I cut a hole in the bed and welded angle iron to
a bracket on the frame for strength.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1647

If I had it todo over, I'd go with the 37555.

Larry, thanks. Just curious how the bed would hold up to this crane.

I didn't measure it but the hole I cut in my '90 F-150 bed felt like
16 ga to me, and it was tough to cut with my impact chisel until I let
the compressor top off. Chisels like 120psi better than 80 for some
strange reason.

Given my druthers, I'd cut a clearance hole in the bed, lift the bed,
weld a section of 2 x 6 (8?) x 1/4" U-channel across the rails, and
bolt the crane upright to it. Then I'd boot the opening. YMMV

My new Tundra will have a composite bed. That ought to be interesting
to work with.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
-- Etty Hillesum
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-30, Gary Owens wrote:
I've got one, and used it until I sold the pickup. It worked. but was a pain
in the butt to use. You must have a truck with suspension that can handle
it. you need to secure it to the frame, not the truck floor. Lifting a small
V8 into the back of a Ranger was an experience. I ended putting jack stands
under the rear of the truck. The unit performed as advertized, the truck
didn't.

I have a 3/4 ton pickup, so I think that it would hold up to 1,000 lbs.

However, I am not sure if the bed would.

A Ford bed will, but I'm not sure about a Dodgy, er, Dodge bed, Ig.

I have a Chevy now.

Truck frames aren't built to support that kind of lateral stress,
either, though. It's all a crap shoot unless you use a 1T truck with a
utility bed on it. They're heavily built to handle the stresses.

I will look to see if I can find a steel plate that is wide than the
base of the crane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 03:55:05 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Jim
Wilkins quickly quoth:

wrote:
[...]

I used mine like a tow truck and lift for my neighbor's Deere riding
lawnmower. His front end lost a balljoint so I roped the steering
column and foot pedals, hauled it in, and kept it on the "hook" to
replace the joints. Very handy. One drawback, I mounted it on the
right rear of the truck. That puts the pump bar close to the bedside
and isn't optimal. Luckily, until there is weight on it, the pump will
swivel around.

The winch/pulley combo is an addition I'm considering if I keep the
crane when I get the new truck.

--
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small
worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
-- Etty Hillesum
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry, I googled "harbor freight" "truck crane" and there is a
consensus that the crane would completely mangle the bed.

Some some reinforcement is needed.

I am thinking about finding something like a 3/8", 16x16 steel square
that I could bolt to the bed, and then I would mount the crane on
that.

More pain in the butt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:48:33 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus1285 quickly quoth:

On 2007-10-30, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:59:34 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus10340 quickly quoth:

However, I am not sure if the bed would.

A Ford bed will, but I'm not sure about a Dodgy, er, Dodge bed, Ig.

I have a Chevy now.

Condolences.

Truck frames aren't built to support that kind of lateral stress,
either, though. It's all a crap shoot unless you use a 1T truck with a
utility bed on it. They're heavily built to handle the stresses.

I will look to see if I can find a steel plate that is wide than the
base of the crane.

See my other post in regard to beefing up the mount on the frame.
Knowledge and timber shouldn't be much used till they are seasoned.
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:42:35 -0500, Ignoramus1285
wrote:

Larry, I googled "harbor freight" "truck crane" and there is a
consensus that the crane would completely mangle the bed.

Some some reinforcement is needed.

I am thinking about finding something like a 3/8", 16x16 steel square
that I could bolt to the bed, and then I would mount the crane on
that.

Not even that will do it. You will need to make a mount under the
bed that goes to the frame to carry the actual load. Beds are not made
to handle the kind of load a crane puts on it.

The mount needs to be something like a piece of 2 x 6 x 1/4w"
rectangular tubing (you need tubing not channel in order to handle the
twisting load). Run this across the top of the frame under the bed and
attach it to both frame rails. Then a plate on top where the hoist
mounts that is tight up against the bottom of the bed. At that point
you will need to make spacers to fill the grooves of the bed between
the plate and the base of the hoist. Then you can bolt through and
clamp the bed between the two plates.

The only other way would be to have a piece of 1/2" plate about 3 to
4 foot square to mount it to and then I wouldn't trust it for full
rated load.

More pain in the butt.

It's worse than that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 30, 9:42 am, Ignoramus1285
wrote:
Larry, I googled "harbor freight" "truck crane" and there is a
consensus that the crane would completely mangle the bed.

Some some reinforcement is needed.

I am thinking about finding something like a 3/8", 16x16 steel square
that I could bolt to the bed, and then I would mount the crane on
that.

If I did it again I'd use 1-1/2" square steel tubing for both cross
members. I made the front one out of 1/2" x 2" steel bar which matches
the thickness of the plywood liner but a thicker, stronger support
would be better than a flat surface since the load can be lifted over
the bar. The rear tube is reinforced with 1" square stock from the
crane base to a little past the nearest bed bolt and it is very solid
but the 1/2" bar isn't really stiff enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne, thanks. I think that I will just give up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:20:22 -0500, Ignoramus1285
wrote:

Wayne, thanks. I think that I will just give up.

What kind of bumper do you have? Reese style square receiver
maybe?

I would look into building one from scratch to use the
square receiver and another good size support (like another
square tube to add bracing support). Some modification to
the HF versions could be done too. Most square receivers are
good for ~1000 lbs tongue weight.

This way you can take it off and set it aside when you are
not using it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wayne, thanks. I think that I will just give up.

What kind of bumper do you have? Reese style square receiver
maybe?

I would look into building one from scratch to use the
square receiver and another good size support (like another
square tube to add bracing support). Some modification to
the HF versions could be done too. Most square receivers are
good for ~1000 lbs tongue weight.

But not for twisting, and also, the crane should be on the side, not
in the middle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 30, 8:20 am, Ignoramus1285
wrote:
Wayne, thanks. I think that I will just give up.

No, don't give up. Go find a pickup with a 5th wheel trailer hitch.
You will find some with mounting rails in the bed. You can do
something similar for your crane mounting. The 5th wheel hitch takes a
LOT more torque than your crane will ever produce and doe it day in
and day out.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wayne, thanks. I think that I will just give up.

What kind of bumper do you have? Reese style square receiver
maybe?

I would look into building one from scratch to use the
square receiver and another good size support (like another
square tube to add bracing support). Some modification to
the HF versions could be done too. Most square receivers are
good for ~1000 lbs tongue weight.

But not for twisting, and also, the crane should be on the side, not
in the middle.

That is why I mentioned you need an outrigger. It will add
support and stop the twisting. Whatever you lift will be
twisted around and dropped on the bed anyway, so think about
it, do you really need to have it off to the side?

You could build it slightly offset from the center too with
an outrigger. It really just depends on how solidly you
mount the extra tube/receiver. If the second tube is mounted
as good as the hitch you could center your crane over that
tube and use the hitch as the out rigger, if you really want
it off to the side.

I have a farmer neighbor that carries a full-size 4x4 ATV
off the back of his truck with a dual tube system. It hangs
out the full length of the ATV and he uses separate ramps to
load it. Don't under estimate how much a good tube system
can support...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I mount one on top of my 4 story apartment building. Then I mounted a
electric winch to the end of the boom. I was able to get all the
redwood lumber for a 700 sq ft roof deck up with great ease.
Saved my back.

Ignoramus10340 wrote:
Has anyone used this crane? Any good/bad experiences?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Harold,
Sorry I realized after I wrote that that B&S was wrong - it is a Boyer
Schultz (sp?) from here in Chicago. It is a 6 x 12 so it is only a
little one. I don't really have any idea as I haven't gotten together
with the fellow I got them from to get the manuals and extra bits.

rem

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 07:53:34 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Rob Morden" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

2/ the winch is very poor quality - I stripped it - I can't think what
I was doing at the time - maybe trying to get the B&S surface grinder
off the pallet at about about 700lbs I think. (I didn't have an
engine hoist at the time.)

You sure about that 700 pounds? B&S didn't make lousy equipment, which
means that a surface grinder, for which they have a respectable reputation,
would likely weigh in more like 3,000 pounds.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I find my engine hoist makes a great rigging tool, and it's portable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rob Morden" wrote in message
Harold,
Sorry I realized after I wrote that that B&S was wrong - it is a Boyer
Schultz (sp?) from here in Chicago. It is a 6 x 12 so it is only a
little one. I don't really have any idea as I haven't gotten together
with the fellow I got them from to get the manuals and extra bits.

rem

Yep, I'm familiar with the Boyar Schultz grinders. Nice little machines,
but not as robust as Brown & Sharpe. My moneys still thinks it would
weigh more than 700, but then I'm not familiar with any of the manual
models. All that I have operated were hydraulic 6 x 18.

Regards,

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I came across a 5/8" thick, approximately 12x13" in size, steel
plate. It came in a "mystery lot" that was auctioned without picture.

I doubt that it is enough for the crane, but it could be a start.

Truck for sale... '99 Isuzu FTR - (It's Metal related because it's a MANLY TRUCK, and we're manly men here!!!!) RainLover Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 07:40 PM
hot tub -v- 60 tonne crane [email protected] UK diy 23 October 5th 05 10:56 PM
designs for a better shop crane? Grant Erwin Metalworking 15 May 3rd 05 08:21 AM
Old Crane Sink [email protected] Home Repair 1 April 21st 05 02:53 PM
1957 Crane Sink David McCulloch Home Repair 16 January 31st 04 05:30 PM