Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone have a PDF of Onan 20.0 DL4 manuals or information? Ping Igor

Anyone have a PDF copy of the manuals handy? All my searches come
up with people selling them. If I have to pay money, I'm going to pay
it straight to Cummins Onan, not to some opportunist with a copier...

Will end up getting a fully legal hard copy to leave at the
building, but that's after I get it up and running again.

Onan DL4 Spec C 20KW Standby
( 20.0DL4-3R/7C )
Onan L423D-I Diesel naturally aspirated engine

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-23, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
Anyone have a PDF copy of the manuals handy? All my searches come
up with people selling them. If I have to pay money, I'm going to pay
it straight to Cummins Onan, not to some opportunist with a copier...

Will end up getting a fully legal hard copy to leave at the
building, but that's after I get it up and running again.

Onan DL4 Spec C 20KW Standby
( 20.0DL4-3R/7C )
Onan L423D-I Diesel naturally aspirated engine

Brice, sadly, I do not have a manual. However, I can put you in touch
with the buyer of my L423D, who is a real nice guy and may be willing
to make a copy of his manual in exchange for your $$.

What is going on with your engine?

I had two L423Ds and loved them, though people said that it was not
their best.

There is a manual on eBay right now: 180172180316.

Contact him and ask if he would give you the "Igor Discount". He is a
good guy, generally.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-23, Ignoramus12753 wrote:
On 2007-10-23, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
[...]

Forgot to say, SmokStak's "old onan generators" board has several
people who are basically experts in L423Ds (also known as Cummins A
series). They will probably guide you through simple repairs. In my
own case, the injection pump needed a rebuild (ring fell apart due to
years of sitting in a govt warehouse), which was done for $250 by a
retired repairer recommended by one of their members.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 00:15:16 -0500, Ignoramus12753
On 2007-10-23, Bruce L Bergman wrote:

Anyone have a PDF copy of the manuals handy? All my searches come
up with people selling them. If I have to pay money, I'm going to pay
it straight to Cummins Onan, not to some opportunist with a copier...

Will end up getting a fully legal hard copy to leave at the
building, but that's after I get it up and running again.

Onan DL4 Spec C 20KW Standby
( 20.0DL4-3R/7C )
Onan L423D-I Diesel naturally aspirated engine

Brice, sadly, I do not have a manual. However, I can put you in touch
with the buyer of my L423D, who is a real nice guy and may be willing
to make a copy of his manual in exchange for your $$.

Where do you think I looked first? ;-P

What is going on with your engine?

Not sure - they stopped doing test runs in the log-book about 4
years ago, and it is sitting. On the roof. Meaning I can't just take
it home to work on it, unless I call Contractor's Crane for a pick.

The Hotstart ran the radiator dry, the battery is flat, and the fuel
tank wasn't sealed properly and the fuel gauge cover is missing,
meaning there is water in the fuel tank - just don't know how much.

I'm going to start with an oil change, fresh battery, water, and a
portable fuel tank with fresh #2 and see what happens. If it starts,
I'll dump some citric acid flush in the radiator and let it go for an
hour.

I had two L423Ds and loved them, though people said that it was not
their best.

There is a manual on eBay right now: 180172180316.

Contact him and ask if he would give you the "Igor Discount". He is a
good guy, generally.

If I'm going to pay for a manual, I'm going to get one from the
proper copyright holder, not someone looking to print some money.

Forgot to say, SmokStak's "old onan generators" board has several
people who are basically experts in L423Ds (also known as Cummins A
series). They will probably guide you through simple repairs. In my
own case, the injection pump needed a rebuild (ring fell apart due to
years of sitting in a govt warehouse), which was done for $250 by a
retired repairer recommended by one of their members.

I'll keep that in mind, this one has the little RoosaMaster pump.
And I've been on SmokStak before, it's a nice resource.

With any luck it'll fire right up, otherwise I'll do what I can and
have Cummins come service it.

The regional Cummins distributor can get the books, but the radiator
hoses must be spun gold - $60 for the upper and $40 for the lower.
And I can't find a cross from Gates or Dayco.

If it was mine, I'd silver-braze up hard coolant lines out of 2" M
Copper and use two straight pieces of Green Stripe straight hose at
the ends. But they aren't going to want to pay me to fab them.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-23, Bruce L Bergman wrote:

Anyone have a PDF copy of the manuals handy? All my searches come
up with people selling them. If I have to pay money, I'm going to pay
it straight to Cummins Onan, not to some opportunist with a copier...

Will end up getting a fully legal hard copy to leave at the
building, but that's after I get it up and running again.

Onan DL4 Spec C 20KW Standby
( 20.0DL4-3R/7C )
Onan L423D-I Diesel naturally aspirated engine

Brice, sadly, I do not have a manual. However, I can put you in touch
with the buyer of my L423D, who is a real nice guy and may be willing
to make a copy of his manual in exchange for your $$.

Where do you think I looked first? ;-P

So let me know.

What is going on with your engine?

Not sure - they stopped doing test runs in the log-book about 4
years ago, and it is sitting. On the roof.

Is the exhaust capped? That was the first thing I did with my engine,
put the cap on the exhaust.

Meaning I can't just take it home to work on it, unless I call
Contractor's Crane for a pick.

If it does not work, it would probably be a not so bad idea.

The Hotstart ran the radiator dry, the battery is flat, and the fuel
tank wasn't sealed properly and the fuel gauge cover is missing,
meaning there is water in the fuel tank - just don't know how much.

You can always use another source of fuel for testing (like I used a
soda bottle with diesel fuel). This is a "separate issue" from getting
it to run.

You can also always buy a fuel separator and a pump and run the
suspect fuel through that.

I'm going to start with an oil change, fresh battery, water, and a
portable fuel tank with fresh #2 and see what happens. If it starts,
I'll dump some citric acid flush in the radiator and let it go for an
hour.

sounds like a great idea.

I had two L423Ds and loved them, though people said that it was not
their best.

There is a manual on eBay right now: 180172180316.

Contact him and ask if he would give you the "Igor Discount". He is a
good guy, generally.

If I'm going to pay for a manual, I'm going to get one from the
proper copyright holder, not someone looking to print some money.

I have a fully different opinion on copyrights.

Forgot to say, SmokStak's "old onan generators" board has several
people who are basically experts in L423Ds (also known as Cummins A
series). They will probably guide you through simple repairs. In my
own case, the injection pump needed a rebuild (ring fell apart due to
years of sitting in a govt warehouse), which was done for $250 by a
retired repairer recommended by one of their members.

I'll keep that in mind, this one has the little RoosaMaster pump.
And I've been on SmokStak before, it's a nice resource.

Mine had a Stanadyne Roosamaster pump also. A lot of support for them.

With any luck it'll fire right up, otherwise I'll do what I can and
have Cummins come service it.

A little diagnostic would also help (does it crank? does it emit white
smoke? Does it start? Does it stay running? etc)

The regional Cummins distributor can get the books, but the radiator
hoses must be spun gold - $60 for the upper and $40 for the lower.
And I can't find a cross from Gates or Dayco.

Try taking them to a radiator shop. They might find a cheap
alternative. My engine, aside from other problems, had a damaged
radiator due to military bumping it into something. I took it to a
radiator shop and they charged me about $40 and did a great job.

If it was mine, I'd silver-braze up hard coolant lines out of 2" M
Copper and use two straight pieces of Green Stripe straight hose at
the ends. But they aren't going to want to pay me to fab them.

Sounds like you have some cheap customers.

If they decide to get rid of it, I can buy this engine or generator if
the price is right, depending on condition and shipping and all.

Last fall, I was very happy working on mine. I did not do any advanced
things, just proper diagnostics and taking things to proper repair
facilities. But that was fun.

Free Laptop Repair Manuals Printer manuals and Support [email protected] Home Repair 1 February 22nd 07 10:09 PM
Electronics Manuals - Parts,Service,User Manuals $9.99 & Instant Downloads justmanuals Electronics Repair 3 February 6th 07 11:51 PM
Pinging IGOR DoN. Nichols Metalworking 4 January 10th 06 09:50 PM
Apologies to Igor George Woodturning 0 April 14th 05 03:44 PM