Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default Pinging IGOR

Igor,

I've just spotted a die for your crimper. (Found while looking
for ones for mine.)

From the table which I posted before, it is this line:

#2 Red 47855 & 48755-1 MOD.V

eBay auction #4602023031

And -- as it has the original box, it probably also has the data
sheet which includes information on how to mount and unmount the dies
from the crimper.

Prices are reasonable if not spectacular for the item in
question.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Ignoramus30282 :
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 19:58:56 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
Igor,

I've just spotted a die for your crimper. (Found while looking
for ones for mine.)

[ ... ]

eBay auction #4602023031

[ ... ]

Prices are reasonable if not spectacular for the item in
question.

Don, thanks, although to me the price is quite high. I will think very
hard about bidding on this die, I got the crimper for just $26 or so
plus shipping. I am not a pro user and do not expect to make money
from this die. In any case, I am very grateful for you looking at
these dies and remembering me.

I understand. But you have to realize that you got your crimper
and its die at a real steal. I've bid over $200.00 just to get a
crimp head (it happened to have dies which matched what I already had).

And remember that this will also give you the data sheet which
goes with the crimper and dies.

Is it true that this die can also handle 1 gauge cable?

I have no idea. I've never tried. It is only marked for 2 Ga,
as the others are only marked for 4 Ga. 6 Ga. and 8 Ga.

I'm not sure that I've ever *seen* 1 Ga. wire. The wires and
the crimpers tend to go in steps of 2, until you get to the "?-0"
series, starting with just plain "0" (also sometimes called "1-0".

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:51:18 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Ignoramus30282 :

[ ... ]

Don, thanks, although to me the price is quite high. I will think very
hard about bidding on this die, I got the crimper for just $26 or so
plus shipping. I am not a pro user and do not expect to make money
from this die. In any case, I am very grateful for you looking at
these dies and remembering me.

I understand. But you have to realize that you got your crimper
and its die at a real steal. I've bid over $200.00 just to get a
crimp head (it happened to have dies which matched what I already had).

That's interesting. Seems to suggest that I paid that low a price
because it was misdescribed. I had no idea at the time.

Misdescribed -- or perhaps just nobody wanted it more than you
did at the time. I don't remember the details of the auction.

And remember that this will also give you the data sheet which
goes with the crimper and dies.

Is it true that this die can also handle 1 gauge cable?

I have no idea. I've never tried. It is only marked for 2 Ga,
as the others are only marked for 4 Ga. 6 Ga. and 8 Ga.

I'm not sure that I've ever *seen* 1 Ga. wire. The wires and
the crimpers tend to go in steps of 2, until you get to the "?-0"
series, starting with just plain "0" (also sometimes called "1-0".

I have 1 gauge on my welding machine. That's the reason for my
question. I will need to crimp 1 ga cables soon if things go well.

Well ... try getting some #2 terminals and seeing whether they
can be slid onto your #1 cable. (You might be able to by removing the
outer layer of wires to reduce the diameter just a little for that short
distance.)

Or -- keep your eyes open for a hydraulic head and dies for 1-0
wire, and plan to *add* a layer of extra conductors around the existing
wire to build it up to size.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Ignoramus14714 :
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 02:53:02 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Ignoramus30282 :
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:51:18 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

I understand. But you have to realize that you got your crimper
and its die at a real steal. I've bid over $200.00 just to get a
crimp head (it happened to have dies which matched what I already had).

That's interesting. Seems to suggest that I paid that low a price
because it was misdescribed. I had no idea at the time.

Misdescribed -- or perhaps just nobody wanted it more than you
did at the time. I don't remember the details of the auction.

Here's the auction. Looks like no one wanted it.

Very well described.

I was surprised that the auction was still visible. I thought
that they were fading out sooner than that.

However -- one benefit from this one was the link to Tycho's web
site (they own AMP these days).

The link points to:

http://ecommas.tycoelectronics.com/c.../DDEController

and from there, entering the part number "48755-1" gets to a page which
offers three documents in your choice of PDF or TIF format. One of
those is the data sheet/manual for the crimping dies. Right-click on
the binoculars column and save the PDF file to your system. The same
for the others which you may wish to have. (They are small.)

Then repeat this after backing up to the search page, this time
using the part number "59974-1", to get the manual for a similar if not
identical crimper.

This gives you the data sheets without me having to scan them,
and with AMP's blessing.

[ ... ]

I have 1 gauge on my welding machine. That's the reason for my
question. I will need to crimp 1 ga cables soon if things go well.

Well ... try getting some #2 terminals and seeing whether they
can be slid onto your #1 cable. (You might be able to by removing the
outer layer of wires to reduce the diameter just a little for that short
distance.)

Yes. Looks like the seller will not sell it, I will ask him to sell to
me for less after the auction closes.

He did not sell it, so you *may* have a chance -- depending on
whether he knows what it is worth.

Or -- keep your eyes open for a hydraulic head and dies for 1-0
wire, and plan to *add* a layer of extra conductors around the existing
wire to build it up to size.

Thanks Don. I think that I rather like your previous idea about
trimming the outer conductors a little bit.

It depends on how much you need the full current-carrying
capacity, of course.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

[...]

Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: OT: free software features survey

According to F. George McDuffee :
If it's free, I'll take three….

The snow is back.

I am about to begin updating a program I wrote several years ago
that converted a v.11 AutoCAD ADI plotter file to G/M codes for a
EMCO F1 educational machining center, but
== before I do this I want to find out how much interest there
is. ==

Hmm ... I have the lathe brother to that machine.

The new version will convert a HPGL [not HPGL/2] file to ISO
standard cnc file format, and will be placed IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN
UNDER THE GPL.

That sounds nice.

Will there be provisions for calculating a tool path from the
radius of the tool and the edge of what is to be cut?

A google search indicates the existence of some commercial
programs that appear to do this, but these are expensive for
casual or 1 time use.

My main reason for using HPGL as source rather than dxf is
because this allows easy generation of characters from stroke
[Hershey] fonts and truetype [.ttf] fonts.

A nice feature, indeed.

Some of the HP drivers are for
plotters that I have never seen (but would like to), such as a
roll feed unit that will plot 36 inches wide by 200 feet long.

Aha -- the "towel rack" plotters.

I have looked at a large number of the HPGL files output by
windows, dos and other programs. None of these seem to use the
extend HPGL commands to draw arc, etc. Just the PU [pen up],
PD [pen down], IN [initialize to power up], and the end points of
the vectors. A few allow [but don't require] pen selection and
plotting speed specification. Curves are approximated by a large
number of short, straight line moves. The g code will thus have
only G0 [pen up] and G1[pen down] moves, with the vertical and
horizontal feed rates specified by the user.

Hmm ... with curves, and with a machine with limited memory
(such as the EMCO-MAIER machines), you could easily overflow the program
memory with such programs.)

HPGL files are in "plotter units" with 40 plotter units = 1 m/m
or 1016 plotter units = 1 inch. The first rewrite will be with
converted 0.001 inch output, with trailing zeros if required.

My questions to the group.

(1) If its free and easy to use, would you like to have such a
program?

If I can make it able to be run on my systems, yes. (*Not*
Windows or DOS.)

(2) Do you want the output to be a complete "stand alone"
program or simply a code fragment that you cut-n-paste into an
existing cnc program.

Hmm ... the cut-n-paste might be sufficient.

(3) Will a program that runs in a "DOS" box be acceptable, or do
you need/want one that runs in the windows environment?

I would want one which I could compile under my unix systems,
which has a major impact on your next question.

(4) Does it make any difference what language the source code is
written in? I am leaning toward M/S qb4.5 as I have/use that
compiler. I will post both the source [.bas] and compiled [.exe]
files for download.

QuickBasic would not work on a unix system, or on other's Mac
systems, so that limits somewhat the list of those who would be able to
benefit.

I presume that you don't know 'C', so you would have a
significant learning curve to surmount with that.

This probably eliminates me from your audience.

(5) How much group interest is there in a version that generates
metric output?

I would certainly want metric as well as Imperial units.

(6) How much group interest is there in a version that uses a
rotary indexer to generate text/graphics around a cylinder?

Hmm ... that would be quite nice for engraving scales on machine
dials. But -- it might be difficult to integrate with the rest of the
system, depending on the controller.

(7) Is there another output format that would be more
acceptable/useful to the group than ISO? If so which one, and
what are the specifications, i.e. number of characters in each
column, leading/trailing signs, decimal point inclusion, number
of places, etc. FWIW, the program output will be positive
absolute moves only.

The ISO would be preferred -- especially if you retain the
ability to generate the implied decimal point fixed format that the
Emco-Maier machines used.

(8) How would you use such a program?

That remains to be seen. :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |