Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chuck carrier pics

The carrier i made works pretty well. I set the track so i can use it for
both the lathe and mill, made a chuck carrier from an old sterring rack, the
rack teeth allow the lifting washer to engage wherever it balances best with
no slippage.
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-036S.jpg
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-030S.jpg
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-033S.jpg

Here is a job I am doing using a 9 inch face mill for some timing covers.
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-023S.jpg
fun stuff
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:34:15 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

The carrier i made works pretty well. I set the track so i can use it for
both the lathe and mill, made a chuck carrier from an old sterring rack, the
rack teeth allow the lifting washer to engage wherever it balances best with
no slippage.
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-036S.jpg
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-030S.jpg
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-033S.jpg

Here is a job I am doing using a 9 inch face mill for some timing covers.
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-023S.jpg
fun stuff

Pretty nifty. I like the idea of the notches to allow balancing the
chuck. I have long wanted to do something similar but the fear of
some s**t for brains student deciding to see what would happen if you
loosen the chuck in mid air has kept me from acting on the idea.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...tion=view&curr...
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...tion=view&curr...
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...tion=view&curr...

Here is a job I am doing using a 9 inch face mill for some timing covers.
http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...tion=view&curr...
fun stuff

Pretty nifty. I like the idea of the notches to allow balancing the
chuck. I have long wanted to do something similar but the fear of
some s**t for brains student deciding to see what would happen if you
loosen the chuck in mid air has kept me from acting on the idea.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Societywww.neme-s.org

You could make a cradle/basket that would hold the chuck.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote:

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=MVC-036S.jpg

Is your track short lipped c-channel or commercial hoist track? I sure like
that.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is a job I am doing using a 9 inch face mill for some timing covers.

Is this something that could be done using a Bridgeport Series 1?
--

Thats the machine I am using.
As for the track, it is a galvanized C-channel with short lips coming in

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'd want a Weston brake in one of the blocks, so when they let go of
the rope to scratch the chuck would stop in place rather than crash.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:
Thats the machine I am using.
As for the track, it is a galvanized C-channel with short lips coming in
from the edges. Got it from the left-overs when the welder on the next ranch

Is it this stuff?

http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_pg.php?P=S00_Channel

or is it overhead garage door track?

technomaNge
--
Please visit http://www.anysoldier.com
and make a donation.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Is it this stuff?
http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_pg.php?P=S00_Channel

it is the 3300 on that page. Nice to know that the 100Lbs and less that i
lift are well under spec even though I have it rotated 90 deg. I would be
more worried about the 5/16 lag bolts into the rafters pulling than a track
failure.

A weston brake would be nice, or a marine camlock, but with two double
blocks even the large mill vise and rotary table are easy to hang on to.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

[...]

If you drill and tap the chuck for an eye bolt then that won't happen.

If you lift the chuck with a small sling around it, you can find the
balance point of the chuck. Then find a spot under the sling that you can
drill and tap with out damaging any working parts of the chuck. Then you
never have to find the balance point again. Just screw in the eye bolt and
lift with the crane.

Richard W.