Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe Stand

Hello folks.

I have a Chinese "whoflungdung" 12x36 lathe that came with the standard type
cabinet stand, and I'm looking to make a replacement stand that's more
sturdy and stable so I don't have to worry about brushing up against the
lathe and moving it out of alignment.

I basically know what I want, but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas
or links to interesting designs or types?

Thanks in advance,

George.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a Sheldon 11x44.

It has a nice oil tray - 1" deep. The holes through it to the legs have gaskets
and washers that help prevent leaks. Even if you don't plan on coolant a tray
is great for chips. A coolant tray has a rear corner with a drain pipe so a
hose can be attached to a tank where the pump draws from to in turn cool the part.

Mine has two leg sections. They are a wide metal that is U shaped.
The width of the U is the width of the tray less a little. The channel
does down toward the floor and the bottom and top are covered with heavy
plate. The bottom plate has two holes (per end) for levelers.
Inside this bent U (can be welded sheet with sides) - is an X that crosses
within and are as the sides - 3-4" wide. They provide a place to store stuff.
The thickness is 3/16.

Provide a place to mount a lamp - on the rear of the tray. Be sure it stays
out of the way to options and the carriage.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Noddy wrote:
Hello folks.

I have a Chinese "whoflungdung" 12x36 lathe that came with the standard type
cabinet stand, and I'm looking to make a replacement stand that's more
sturdy and stable so I don't have to worry about brushing up against the
lathe and moving it out of alignment.

I basically know what I want, but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas
or links to interesting designs or types?

Thanks in advance,

George.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George,

Hello folks.

I have a Chinese "whoflungdung" 12x36 lathe that came with the standard type
cabinet stand, and I'm looking to make a replacement stand that's more
sturdy and stable so I don't have to worry about brushing up against the
lathe and moving it out of alignment.

I basically know what I want, but was just wondering if anyone had any ideas
or links to interesting designs or types?

About the lathe itself, are you happy with it? Where did you buy it?
How does it stack up on DoN's questions:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...4d1c729d35aab8

which are part of this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...e2e7ae6b25a59e

Those links will almost certainly wrap. Sorry about that. I think it
will be the first hit to "lathe advice" on Google groups, which might be
the easiest way to find it.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Martin,

Sounds great, and much better than the junk stand that came with mine. What
you've described is pretty much what I planned to do, but I thought I'd ask
first on the off chance that someone else has been in the same situation and
made some fancy stand with a lot of great tool storage ideas and could say
"Here, look at this".

Thanks again.

George.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message

About the lathe itself, are you happy with it? Where did you buy it? How
does it stack up on DoN's questions:

Hi Bill,

I read through those links, and DoN's questions pretty much described my
machine to a T. I bought it from a local industrial tool importer, but I
should add at this point that I'm in Melbourne, Australia, so that might not
be in your neck of the woods

As far as "import" 12x36 lathes go I think they're all pretty much of a
muchness if most of the stuff I've read on the net about them is anything to
go by.

Their pro's are that they offer quite a bit of machine for the money, but
that's about it. Their cons are many, including appalling attention to
detail with things like headstocks full of sand and swarf, spindle oil that
looks (and smells) like it used to be cat urine in a former life, V belt
pulleys that have more run out than a circus clown's bicycle wheels, handles
and knobs fitted incorrectly and the like.

The accuracy out of the box makes a junkyard lathe look great by comparison
(which was certainly true of mine and that of a couple of friends who bought
similar machines from different manufacturers), and the fit & finish of the
things is about as bad as you could possibly make it if you were
deliberately trying to.

Unfortunately for us down here, good used quality equipment is very hard to
come by, and when it does eventually pop up now and then it's usually worth
a small fortune. To give you an example, a local used machinery dealer not
far from me has a couple of Colchester Student lathes that look like they've
done a world tour as deck cargo on a submarine, but he wants 7500 bucks each
for them and he says he'll get it without any problems at all.

For a home hobby guy like me that's way too much for a machine that probably
needs as much again spent on it to return it to active duty. The only real
alternative if you want something of a useful size that doesn't cost an arm
and a leg is the Chinese stuff, but from what I've seen thus far their new
stuff is almost as bad as the worn out old junk

In short, I'm reasonably happy with mine (which may sound strange), but only
because I own it and have spent a couple hundred hours fully rebuilding a
brand new lathe turning it into what is now a reasonable, but not brilliant,
machine. Out of the box it was terrible, and within 5 minutes of it's first
running I thoroughly regretted selling my little Hercus (which is a locally
made Southbend copy) and buying this thing.

If I lived in the US and had access to the huge variety of cheap quality
machines that you guys seem to have, I wouldn't go near a Chinese machine
even if they were giving them away for free.

George.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 18, 8:16 am, "Noddy" wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, glut of used machines in the US, glut of shipping containers,
dearth of good affordable used machines down-under, seems like the
thing to do is to take 'orders', find a containers worth of machines,
and ship.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Noddy wrote:

that look like they've done a world tour as deck cargo on a submarine,

That sounds interesting! LOL

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hmmm, glut of used machines in the US, glut of shipping containers,
dearth of good affordable used machines down-under, seems like the
thing to do is to take 'orders', find a containers worth of machines,
and ship.

I've thought very seriously about doing exactly that myself.

George.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Noddy wrote:

Hello folks.

I have a Chinese "whoflungdung" 12x36 lathe that came with the
standard type cabinet stand, and I'm looking to make a replacement
stand that's more sturdy and stable so I don't have to worry about
brushing up against the lathe and moving it out of alignment.

I basically know what I want, but was just wondering if anyone had
any ideas or links to interesting designs or types?

Thanks in advance,

George.

This thread is probably a bit old now, but you might like to look at my
design for a lathe stand.

Its a central spine setup.

See bottom of the page.

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~gloami...cq9325rev.html

For a 12" lathe you'd need some seriously big square or "C" section :-)

Still, I thought the design might give you some ideas.

Cheers

Rob

New Lathe.... Need stand [email protected] Woodworking 8 November 5th 06 07:02 PM
New Lathe.... Need stand [email protected] Woodturning 13 November 4th 06 04:56 PM
Jet lathe stand Rick Samuel Woodturning 4 October 12th 05 03:26 AM
Lathe Stand George Woodturning 11 March 18th 05 01:09 AM
Additional lathe, lathe stand pics in ABPW John Moorhead Woodworking 0 June 9th 04 02:51 AM