Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Noddy Noddy is offline

Default Lathe Stand

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
I have a Sheldon 11x44.

It has a nice oil tray - 1" deep. The holes through it to the legs have
gaskets
and washers that help prevent leaks. Even if you don't plan on coolant a
tray
is great for chips. A coolant tray has a rear corner with a drain pipe
so a
hose can be attached to a tank where the pump draws from to in turn cool
the part.

Mine has two leg sections. They are a wide metal that is U shaped.
The width of the U is the width of the tray less a little. The channel
does down toward the floor and the bottom and top are covered with heavy
plate. The bottom plate has two holes (per end) for levelers.
Inside this bent U (can be welded sheet with sides) - is an X that
crosses
within and are as the sides - 3-4" wide. They provide a place to store
stuff.
The thickness is 3/16.

Provide a place to mount a lamp - on the rear of the tray. Be sure it
stays
out of the way to options and the carriage.

Hi Martin,

Sounds great, and much better than the junk stand that came with mine. What
you've described is pretty much what I planned to do, but I thought I'd ask
first on the off chance that someone else has been in the same situation and
made some fancy stand with a lot of great tool storage ideas and could say
"Here, look at this".

Thanks again.

George.