Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default check out Lagun mill

I'm wanting to replace my old 1J Bridgeport with a mill that uses 40 taper
tooling. This time around I want to get a mill in very good condition.

I found this Lagun FTV-4 at a jockey near me:
http://tinyurl.com/yufuod

The dealers in this location don't have a good reputation, from what I've
heard. Been there many times, but never made a purchase.

Anyway, is there a series of standard checks to determine condition of a
mill? Things like backlash middle and end of each axis - what are "good"
values. other checks? also, anyone know how to determine this unit's age
based on serial number.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I'm wanting to replace my old 1J Bridgeport with a mill that uses 40 taper
tooling. This time around I want to get a mill in very good condition.

I found this Lagun FTV-4 at a jockey near me:
http://tinyurl.com/yufuod

The dealers in this location don't have a good reputation, from what I've
heard. Been there many times, but never made a purchase.

Anyway, is there a series of standard checks to determine condition of a
mill? Things like backlash middle and end of each axis - what are "good"
values. other checks? also, anyone know how to determine this unit's age
based on serial number.

Karl, I went through this last fall for my brother. You should be able to pull
up that thread on google. Anyway, my suggestion may sound radical - buy a
BRAND NEW Lagun mill! They're cheaper than Bridgeports, and you are in
business, right? They'd ship out to you from Southern California, so you'd
have to add on some trucking cost, but you'd get just what you want and it
would be *right*.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Was this the thread?
http://tinyurl.com/39p7jz

I went to Dave Meridan's site, not much for a mill there, other than to say
why not to bother with indicator readings. His lathe advice was good.

I've seen the machine tool reconditioning book's advice. its WAY to complex
for evaluating a machine, IMHO.

I'd like to buy new, but have to be careful with the milady factor. A used
machine will cost me the price of a machine plus a new couch. A new machine
will cost me the price of the machine plus new carpet and flooring through
out the house. The rule is: I get something, she gets something.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
Was this the thread?
http://tinyurl.com/39p7jz

No, 'twas this one. The one you cite was ancient. Hoary. Moldy even.

GWE

I went to Dave Meridan's site, not much for a mill there, other than to say
why not to bother with indicator readings. His lathe advice was good.

I've seen the machine tool reconditioning book's advice. its WAY to complex
for evaluating a machine, IMHO.

I'd like to buy new, but have to be careful with the milady factor. A used
machine will cost me the price of a machine plus a new couch. A new machine
will cost me the price of the machine plus new carpet and flooring through
out the house. The rule is: I get something, she gets something.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Was this the thread?
http://tinyurl.com/39p7jz

I went to Dave Meridan's site, not much for a mill there, other than to say
why not to bother with indicator readings. His lathe advice was good.

I've seen the machine tool reconditioning book's advice. its WAY to complex
for evaluating a machine, IMHO.

I'd like to buy new, but have to be careful with the milady factor. A used
machine will cost me the price of a machine plus a new couch. A new machine
will cost me the price of the machine plus new carpet and flooring through
out the house.

The rule is: I get something, she gets something.

If it's a tool that is used in your business operations, it does *not*
qualify as you getting anything, therefore she is *not* entitled to
anything either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The rule is: I get something, she gets something.

If it's a tool that is used in your business operations, it does *not*
qualify as you getting anything, therefore she is *not* entitled to
anything either.

I take it, you're not married; or you're getting divorced.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
Was this the thread?
http://tinyurl.com/39p7jz

I went to Dave Meridan's site, not much for a mill there, other than to say
why not to bother with indicator readings. His lathe advice was good.

I've seen the machine tool reconditioning book's advice. its WAY to complex
for evaluating a machine, IMHO.

I'd like to buy new, but have to be careful with the milady factor. A used
machine will cost me the price of a machine plus a new couch. A new machine
will cost me the price of the machine plus new carpet and flooring through
out the house.

The rule is: I get something, she gets something.

If it's a tool that is used in your business operations, it does *not*
qualify as you getting anything, therefore she is *not* entitled to
anything either.

Um, it does if it works the other way. Her trip
to Tibet and China got me a spectrum analyzer for
the business. I'm not complaining.

Moving Tree Journeyman Mill - sanity check [email protected] Metalworking 32 May 6th 17 11:18 PM
How much is Lagun FTV-4 worth? Alex Metalworking 4 September 15th 07 08:00 PM
Brake adjustment on Lagun mill [email protected] Metalworking 1 March 13th 06 05:30 PM
Lagun Lathes JB Metalworking 18 October 14th 05 05:00 AM
Lagun Lathe - Help Please JB Metalworking 1 October 8th 05 09:03 PM