Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Taps in green coating

If I see a tap in green coating, would it be correct to assume that it
is a resharp?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-11, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus22384 wrote:
If I see a tap in green coating, would it be correct to assume that it
is a resharp?

It could be, probably is. But it also could be someone was just using up some
green hot dip.

It could also be new. Sometimes plastic packages get cracked and tossed.

Basically, I think all you can assume is that it's a tap in green coating.

I have about 250 lbs of taps in my pickup, hence the question. They
came from a plant that was surplising some of their stuff, I am sure
that they have no time for cheap gimmicks -- and they did not get much
$$ for the taps either, not worth the scamming effort.

By the way, the visit to the plant today was very interesting, they
had giant metalworking machines the size of a small house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-11, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus22384 wrote:

If I see a tap in green coating, would it be correct to assume that it
is a resharp?

It could be, probably is. But it also could be someone was just using up some
green hot dip.

It could also be new. Sometimes plastic packages get cracked and tossed.

Basically, I think all you can assume is that it's a tap in green coating.

I have about 250 lbs of taps in my pickup, hence the question. They
came from a plant that was surplising some of their stuff, I am sure
that they have no time for cheap gimmicks -- and they did not get much
$$ for the taps either, not worth the scamming effort.

By the way, the visit to the plant today was very interesting, they
had giant metalworking machines the size of a small house.

Resharpened taps aren't like resharpened end mills, right? Machinists depend on
new end mills being a certain diameter and when they get sharpened (unless they
just do the end) they get smaller. But taps are sharpened along the flutes and
still do every bit as good a job as when they were new.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 11, 10:18 am, Ignoramus22384 ignoramus22...@NOSPAM.
22384.invalid wrote:
If I see a tap in green coating, would it be correct to assume that it
is a resharp?

no

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
snip------

Resharpened taps aren't like resharpened end mills, right? Machinists
depend on
new end mills being a certain diameter and when they get sharpened (unless
they
just do the end) they get smaller. But taps are sharpened along the flutes
and
still do every bit as good a job as when they were new.

That's not necessarily true. Taps are often sharpened only on the tapered
portion that does the cutting, totally ignoring the flute. Weldon, in fact,
made a tap sharpening fixture that did just that.

One thing I can assure you is that a resharpened tap, unless handled
extremely well in the resharpening process, won't come close to the
performance of a new tap, and may not cut size. That was a tough lesson
learned by management when I was working in the aero-space industry. The
tool crib tossed dull taps and replaced them, which turned out to be much
cheaper than the valued parts scrapped from oversized threads.

Harold

What is this wood coating? Broadback UK diy 10 January 12th 07 03:45 PM
What Is Elastromeric Coating Tom Home Repair 5 January 4th 06 07:46 AM
powder coating? [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 2nd 05 03:54 PM
Powder coating Cicero UK diy 9 September 14th 04 06:20 PM
FS: Green & Green book Rick Stein Woodworking 2 October 11th 03 03:59 AM