Cicero

Default Powder coating

Can anybody tell me if plumber's solder will withstand the heat of the
powder coating process?

Tia,

Cic.

Peter Parry

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:02:36 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

Can anybody tell me if plumber's solder will withstand the heat of the
powder coating process?

Powder coating involves the item being coated being heated to about
200 to 250deg C depending upon the material of the coating to be
applied. Lead free 95:5 Sn/Sb plumber solder melts at about 235deg
so it would be a close run thing.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Cicero

wrote:

Can anybody tell me if plumber's solder will withstand the heat of the
powder coating process?

Powder coating involves the item being coated being heated to about
200 to 250deg C depending upon the material of the coating to be
applied. Lead free 95:5 Sn/Sb plumber solder melts at about 235deg
so it would be a close run thing.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

==========
Thanks for the information. It looks as if I'll have to think of another
way of doing the job.

Cic.

N. Thornton

Peter Parry wrote in message . ..

Powder coating involves the item being coated being heated to about
200 to 250deg C depending upon the material of the coating to be
applied.

Can that be done in a domestic oven?

NT
Pete C

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:48:37 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Can anybody tell me if plumber's solder will withstand the heat of the
powder coating process?

Powder coating involves the item being coated being heated to about
200 to 250deg C depending upon the material of the coating to be
applied. Lead free 95:5 Sn/Sb plumber solder melts at about 235deg
so it would be a close run thing.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

==========
Thanks for the information. It looks as if I'll have to think of another
way of doing the job.

Hi,

Try a higher temperature solder like silver solder, (though not all
silver solders melt at a higher temperature...)

cheers,
Pete.
Cicero

wrote:

Can anybody tell me if plumber's solder will withstand the heat of

the
powder coating process?

Powder coating involves the item being coated being heated to about
200 to 250deg C depending upon the material of the coating to be
applied. Lead free 95:5 Sn/Sb plumber solder melts at about 235deg
so it would be a close run thing.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

==========
Thanks for the information. It looks as if I'll have to think of another
way of doing the job.

Hi,

Try a higher temperature solder like silver solder, (though not all
silver solders melt at a higher temperature...)

cheers,
Pete.

===============
I'm not sure that I can get enough heat out of a plumber's blow lamp to melt
silver solder and I got rid of my oxyacetylene gear years ago. Still it's
worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cic.

Andy Wade

Cicero wrote:

I'm not sure that I can get enough heat out of a plumber's blow lamp to melt
silver solder and I got rid of my oxyacetylene gear years ago. Still it's
worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Never heard of Easy-flo? -- Johnson Matthey range of solver brazing
alloys with melting points in the low 600's of C, easily obtainable with
a blowlamp (subject to size of workpiece). Watch the high cadmium
content though -- http://www.jm-metaljoining.com/ (for an example of how
not to design a web site).

--
Andy
Pete C

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:05:43 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

A solder with a low silver content would be best. This site will have
what you need:

http://www.cupalloys.com/products.php?productId=56

Alternatively melt some 60/40 solder down and add lead to make it
10/90 to bring the melting point up:

http://www.mbouk.co.uk/solderwire.htm

cheers,
Pete.

Cic.

wrote:

Can anybody tell me if plumber's solder will withstand the heat of the
powder coating process?

Tia,

Cic.

I've just had something powder coated that had joints filled with
solder (not used for joining anything). The man told me that it would
more than likely melt and cause problems and suggested I remove it,
which I did.

MJ