Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default What Is Elastromeric Coating

Hi,

Many posts below, I was asking advise on how to fix my leaking flat roof.
All suggested that I should install "Rubber Roof" for my flat roof. But I really want to learn how to fix it.

So, I went to Home Depot, Lowes, and Osh to look for stuffs. It came to a point that I was going to use the Henry Wet Patch to patch my leaking roof all over the place with a putty knife. And then I came to the Elastromeric Coating and some other type of "coating". They all claimed to "protect old roof" and "stop leak" and stuffs like that. It looked very easy to use. Just "paint" it like a paint with a brush.

I think the post is too old and get to the bottom so no one can read it anymore.
I think I will start a new follow up with a new topic. Hope this will not make any problem.

Hi,

This is very discouraging. BUT! No matter! It is a manly man's job and I am not giving up just yet. (Al Bundy is my model!)
If the mexican (propably illegal) who the contractor hired can do it, I should be able to do it too! How difficult will it be?!!

Anyway... I went to Lowes and found something call "Black Jack Fibered Roof Coating". It said that it was used to "seal worn out roof with additional layer of protection". You "brush" this thing on top of the "worn out" roof. This looked very promissing.

You guys heard of this "Fibered Roof Coating" thingie? What is the different between this from the Henry's Elastromeric Coating?

Oh... BTW, this thing is only $7 buck a gallon that can cover 50 sq. ft. AND it is all SOLD OUT. So, it must be the good stuff. Right?

I don't know anything. I am trying to learn here. So, please goes easy on me if you read something silly from me.

"RicodJour" wrote in message ups.com...

Here's the bottom line:
- You can dick around, waste your time and a few bucks and still have a
leaking roof. If you're lucky you might not see the results of the
leak for a while. If you're not lucky you might not see the results of
the leak for a while.
- Or you can spring for a pro to fix it and watch what he does and ask
some questions so you'll learn. Then rest easy knowing that the
sizable investment in your home isn't being eaten away.

Not much of a choice in my mind.

There is no answer.
There has not been an answer.
There will not be an answer.
That IS the answer!
And I am screwed.
Deadline was due yesterday.

There is no point to life.
THAT IS THE POINT.
And we are screwed.
We will run out of oil soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

You need to find out why the water isn't draining off your roof and fix that problem. If you do, then you've solved most of your leaking problem. If you don't, then anything OTHER than a hot sealed rubber roof will probably start leaking wherever you have standing water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Hi Bob,

I located the problem. I have a very big flat roof. The tiny drainage hole is not WIDE enough to let the the water out.
So, a lot of water is standing around the hole.

I have some idea. First I need to make the hole wider. But this seems to be not possible. Therefore, the next logical solution is to reinforce the roof around that hole.

You need to find out why the water isn't draining off your roof and fix that problem. If you do, then you've solved most of your leaking problem. If you don't, then anything OTHER than a hot sealed rubber roof will probably start leaking wherever you have standing water.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

And as if any other engineering problem. First understand the construction and the problem, it should not be too difficult to come up with a solution to fix the problem...

"DanG" wrote in message news:sDEuf.30829$9G.20928@dukeread10...
Boy, I sure hope this is not a troll. It sounds a bit like one.

Use Google and learn a few things:

This is a huge subject. Flat roofs are done in several different
materials. It is important to realize that the place that you see
the leak may not be any where close to the problem in the roof.
Is yours a wood framed roof with a wood deck or a steel framed
roof with a steel deck? Steel decks in particular can let water
travel 20 feet and more before it can find a place to drip.

"Tom" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

oOn Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:15:49 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

Many posts below, I was asking advise on how to fix my leaking flat roof.
All suggested that I should install "Rubber Roof" for my flat roof. But I really want to learn how to fix it.

So, I went to Home Depot, Lowes, and Osh to look for stuffs. It came to a point that I was going to use the Henry Wet Patch

to patch my leaking roof all over the place with a putty knife. And
then I came to the Elastromeric Coating and some other type of

I agree with Bob, but if you want to know more about this topic, make
sure it isn't spellled "elastomeric".

"coating". They all claimed to "protect old roof" and "stop leak" and
stuffs like that. It looked very easy to use. Just "paint" it like a
paint with a brush.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 01:24:05 GMT, "Tom" wrote:

Hi Bob,

I located the problem. I have a very big flat roof. The tiny drainage hole is not WIDE enough to let the the water out.
So, a lot of water is standing around the hole.

You did this in the dark!o

I have some idea. First I need to make the hole wider. But this seems to be not possible. Therefore, the next logical

solution is to reinforce the roof around that hole.

I can't picture this and I'm not going to comment.