Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default MIG gas flow problem?

I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder
is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).

The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas
pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any
gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed
the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I
shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the
pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that
this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).

Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle
or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/
what to troubleshoot?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 10, 1:22 pm, wrote:
I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder
is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).

The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas
pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any
gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed
the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I
shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the
pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that
this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).

Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle
or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/
what to troubleshoot?

First off, do you live near Toronto, ON?
If so you can get service at the "Century Official Repair Service" at
15 Heritage Rd.
Unit 11, Markham
1-800-668-8542
Tell Errol that the guy from Schomberg, ON
gave you the information.

If not, check the supply lines for leaks,and as someone else suggested
check the nozzle area for obstruction. Very often they can get blocked
by weld globules.
Best of luck.