DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   MIG gas flow problem? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/217094-mig-gas-flow-problem.html)

[email protected] October 10th 07 06:22 PM

MIG gas flow problem?

I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder
is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).

The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas
pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any
gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed
the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I
shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the
pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that
this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).

Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle
or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/
what to troubleshoot?

Grant Erwin October 10th 07 07:57 PM

MIG gas flow problem?

wrote:
I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder
is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).

The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas
pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any
gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed
the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I
shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the
pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that
this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).

Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle
or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/
what to troubleshoot?

Turn your wire speed to zero. Open the side panel and then pull the
trigger with the nozzle up by your cheek. You should hear and feel the
gas flow. If it doesn't flow, check to see that your gun nipple is
fully inserted into the welder - maybe it's just leaking down into the
welder cavity.

Else you have a plug or big leak somewhere else.

GWE

Brian Lawson October 10th 07 09:14 PM

MIG gas flow problem?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:22:14 -0700, wrote:

I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder
is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).

The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas
pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any
gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed
the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I
shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the
pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that
this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).

Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle
or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/
what to troubleshoot?

Hey Ari,

I'd look for any really really small opening or orifice or tube that
those little tiny spiders can get in to build a web/cocoon. That's
real common on BBQ's and propane refrigerators, for instance.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

SteveB October 11th 07 02:52 AM

MIG gas flow problem?

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
[...]

Darn fine advice. Then there's rubber seals and stuff that just have a
certain life span. This exact case is why I suggest buying a name brand
product. You have a problem, you take it to a service center, you pick it
up, and it runs for another five or ten years.

Your mileage may vary.

Steve

Leon Fisk October 11th 07 08:38 PM

MIG gas flow problem?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:22:14 -0700, wrote:

I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder
is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).

The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas
pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any
gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed
the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I
shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the
pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that
this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).

Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle
or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/
what to troubleshoot?

Light a candle (or something similar) and point the nozzle
at it. Depending on the gas you are using it should go out,
if nothing else you should see it wavering around a bit.
Moving the nozzle around a bit farther away and such should
give you an idea of flow rate.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

[email protected] October 11th 07 09:44 PM

MIG gas flow problem?

On Oct 10, 1:22 pm, wrote:
I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder
is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).

The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas
pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any
gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed
the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I
shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the
pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that
this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).

Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle
or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/
what to troubleshoot?

First off, do you live near Toronto, ON?
If so you can get service at the "Century Official Repair Service" at
15 Heritage Rd.
Unit 11, Markham
1-800-668-8542
Tell Errol that the guy from Schomberg, ON
gave you the information.

If not, check the supply lines for leaks,and as someone else suggested
check the nozzle area for obstruction. Very often they can get blocked
by weld globules.
Best of luck.