Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Nite-Ize 3-LED Mini-Mag Upgrade

As I wandered through the sporting good section at Wally World the
other day, I broke down and bought the triple LED adaptor for the 2-AA
Mini-Mag. I installed it today after seeing how much light the
beastie put out. Mastech MS 8209 megamultimeter.

The standard Mini-Mag bulb gives 480 Lux at 1 foot with the focus to
tight beam. The NiteIze adaptor gives 2,160 Lux at 1 foot. I could
see (subjectively) a great diffference quite clearly but the
lightmeter (albeit a fairly cheap one, the MM was only $80 or so) gave
it more objectivity.

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Two thumbs up!

--
Instant Gratification Takes Too Long!
-------------------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 6, 7:11 pm, Larry Jaques wrote:
As I wandered through the sporting good section at Wally World the
other day, I broke down and bought the triple LED adaptor for the 2-AA
Mini-Mag. I installed it today after seeing how much light the
beastie put out. Mastech MS 8209 megamultimeter.

The standard Mini-Mag bulb gives 480 Lux at 1 foot with the focus to
tight beam. The NiteIze adaptor gives 2,160 Lux at 1 foot. I could
see (subjectively) a great diffference quite clearly but the
lightmeter (albeit a fairly cheap one, the MM was only $80 or so) gave
it more objectivity.

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Two thumbs up!

--
Instant Gratification Takes Too Long!
-------------------------------------

I got rid of my upgrade because most of the stuff i need to see with
the maglite is in the 4-8 foot range where the focal power gets more
light where i need it than the wide shot nite Ize

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Have you compared to the Mini-Maglite that comes with a Luxeon LED?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:11:00 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

As I wandered through the sporting good section at Wally World the
other day, I broke down and bought the triple LED adaptor for the 2-AA
Mini-Mag. I installed it today after seeing how much light the
beastie put out. Mastech MS 8209 megamultimeter.

The standard Mini-Mag bulb gives 480 Lux at 1 foot with the focus to
tight beam. The NiteIze adaptor gives 2,160 Lux at 1 foot. I could
see (subjectively) a great diffference quite clearly but the
lightmeter (albeit a fairly cheap one, the MM was only $80 or so) gave
it more objectivity.

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Two thumbs up!

Nice to find a product that satisfies.

Lux at 1 foot is relevant if most of your applications are at 1 foot.
It might be a lot less relevant in some other apps. Lumens is lumens,
spread as useful.

Can't argue with $4.82 if it works fer you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 23:17:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Richard J Kinch quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques writes:

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Have you compared to the Mini-Maglite that comes with a Luxeon LED?

No. I already have a superlight (tactical which runs on 123 batts) and
wanted something that _sipped_ electrons. I imagine that the Luxeon
is similar and puts out gazillions of Lux, too, besides guzzling
batteries by the handful.

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 01:45:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

wrote:

[...]

I tried it in the coat closet yesterday morning and it lit up the
place like a 60W bulb. It should do just fine most places.

Hmm, I just realize it was still dark as hell outside so I took my
upgraded light for a walk around the house. I can see the end of my
driveway (55'), the top of my sweetgum tree (60') and my leanto at the
other side of the yard (150'), so this is definitely better than I had
imagined for a cheap upgrade.

It also lights up the ground better while I walk.

I'm still sold. 2 Thumbs (and another appendage) Up!

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

How about the "smart switch" that the sell separately or in combo with
the LED upgrades?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:48:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

wrote:

[...]

They were out of the combo, but I'm keeping the mini in the truck, so
I didn't want it accidentally turning on. I probably wouldn't have
bought it anyway, though at $8.97, it would have been tempting had it
been in stock.

Oh, after spending far too much on some Maas metal polish via mail
order, I noticed it on the Wally World shelves. Drat! Well, next
time...

--
Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire
is that which he exercises over himself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques writes:

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Have you compared to the Mini-Maglite that comes with a Luxeon LED?

No. I already have a superlight (tactical which runs on 123 batts) and
wanted something that _sipped_ electrons. I imagine that the Luxeon
is similar and puts out gazillions of Lux, too, besides guzzling
batteries by the handful.

A Luxeon can run on any current from a wee trickle to max rated. The
mini-mag AA's use a 3-watt Luxeon but they don't run at 3 watts and
they're about the same on batteries as an incandescent minimag AA. I
don't like minimag AA's because they're too long for convenient
pocket carry.

If one or more conventional 5mm white LEDs running at 20 to 50 mA is
"enough", there is no advantage to using a power LED (Luxeon or Cree)
except perhaps in a light whose power level can be adjusted to suit
the need. Conventional LED's don't need a reflector or collimator,
power LED's do.

I carry a very small pocket light that has 4 power settings. Most of
the time I use "low". I use it daily, sometimes several times a day,
but seldom for very long. A single 123 cell lasts me at least a
couple of months. At max power it is as bright as most tactical rail
lights but battery life would be about an hour total.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:26:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques writes:

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Have you compared to the Mini-Maglite that comes with a Luxeon LED?

No. I already have a superlight (tactical which runs on 123 batts) and
wanted something that _sipped_ electrons. I imagine that the Luxeon
is similar and puts out gazillions of Lux, too, besides guzzling
batteries by the handful.

A Luxeon can run on any current from a wee trickle to max rated. The
mini-mag AA's use a 3-watt Luxeon but they don't run at 3 watts and
they're about the same on batteries as an incandescent minimag AA. I
don't like minimag AA's because they're too long for convenient
pocket carry.

Mine's a 2AA and is still pocketable. I had forgotten that most of
the Luxeon-fitted devices also incorporated the power saving
electronics. Then again, none of that comes cheap. You're talking with
a man who owns a Scotch wallet.

If one or more conventional 5mm white LEDs running at 20 to 50 mA is
"enough", there is no advantage to using a power LED (Luxeon or Cree)
except perhaps in a light whose power level can be adjusted to suit
the need. Conventional LED's don't need a reflector or collimator,
power LED's do.

Agreed.

I carry a very small pocket light that has 4 power settings. Most of
the time I use "low". I use it daily, sometimes several times a day,
but seldom for very long. A single 123 cell lasts me at least a
couple of months. At max power it is as bright as most tactical rail
lights but battery life would be about an hour total.

That's about what my tac light does, but I seldom use it.
Flashlighting is one of the tool sections I don't go crazy over. In
fact, my most often used light is a $2.50 Gordon headlamp from HF. I
have them all over the house and in several of my toolbags for use
anywhere. You must have a grand or three tied up in LED lighting, not
to mention the sweet little bike light you made for your daughter (or
was that the other Don? You all look alike on the Internet.

--
Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire
is that which he exercises over himself.
-- Elie Wiesel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:46:28 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I carry a very small pocket light that has 4 power settings. Most of
the time I use "low". I use it daily, sometimes several times a day,
but seldom for very long. A single 123 cell lasts me at least a
couple of months. At max power it is as bright as most tactical rail
lights but battery life would be about an hour total.

That's about what my tac light does, but I seldom use it.
Flashlighting is one of the tool sections I don't go crazy over. In
fact, my most often used light is a $2.50 Gordon headlamp from HF. I
have them all over the house and in several of my toolbags for use
anywhere. You must have a grand or three tied up in LED lighting, not
to mention the sweet little bike light you made for your daughter (or
was that the other Don? You all look alike on the Internet.

That was me. I have spent maybe a couple three hundred on flashlights
over the past few years. I do like flashlights, but not enough to
blow the toy budget on 'em. Luxeon III and Luxeon K2 emitters were
only about $6.50 each last I looked.

I put Luxeons in a couple of those Gordon headlamps. A bare Luxeon (no
lens or reflector) lights up everything I can reach with my hands or
tools, as in under hoods, under sinks, in switchboxes, etc. There is
no "spot".

Today I am building a single LED light using a single 5mm white LED. I
bought a Chinese LED flashlight with 25 bright white 5mm LED's for 9
bux, cannibalized it for the LED's. I'm coupling the LED to a piece
of 1/4" clear acrylic rod that I turned down to .218" on one end,
polished, and then bent with a heat gun. It'll be used for
inspecting the bores of .22 and .223 rifles and handguns. Lites 'em
right up, it does! Hoppe's makes such a thing using a penlight
bulb, but the LED works a lot better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:49:44 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

wrote:

[...]

Oh. That's not nearly as bad as I'd expected, but still pricy. What
about all the tools and such you bought for doing your daughter's LED
bike light, hmmm? You forgot to add those.

I put Luxeons in a couple of those Gordon headlamps. A bare Luxeon (no
lens or reflector) lights up everything I can reach with my hands or
tools, as in under hoods, under sinks, in switchboxes, etc. There is
no "spot".

Hmmm...thinking about new toys once the workload slows a bit during
this rainy season...

Today I am building a single LED light using a single 5mm white LED. I
bought a Chinese LED flashlight with 25 bright white 5mm LED's for 9
bux, cannibalized it for the LED's. I'm coupling the LED to a piece
of 1/4" clear acrylic rod that I turned down to .218" on one end,
polished, and then bent with a heat gun. It'll be used for
inspecting the bores of .22 and .223 rifles and handguns. Lites 'em
right up, it does! Hoppe's makes such a thing using a penlight
bulb, but the LED works a lot better.

That sounds like a handy gadget to have around. I bought a few of the
bright white LEDs last year and never got around to playing with them.
That bore inspection lamp looks like a winning idea. Thanks.

--
Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire
is that which he exercises over himself.
-- Elie Wiesel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:23:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

That was me. I have spent maybe a couple three hundred on flashlights
over the past few years. I do like flashlights, but not enough to
blow the toy budget on 'em. Luxeon III and Luxeon K2 emitters were
only about $6.50 each last I looked.

Oh. That's not nearly as bad as I'd expected, but still pricy. What
about all the tools and such you bought for doing your daughter's LED
bike light, hmmm? You forgot to add those.

I don't think that way. I allocate so much a month that I can spend
on "toys" or "amusements". When it's gone, I'm done for that month.
That includes tools, electronic stuff, shooting stuff, flashlights,
supplies and materials, yada yada. I very rarely buy anything very
expensive (more than $100) anymore because I already have pretty much
all of the major tools and machines I want or have room for. Took a
while, about 40 years while I was working.

Our newest vehicle is a '97, the others are '95's. They run and look
just fine.

Sometimes I "save up" my toy budget for a little while for a medium
ticket item, like a new (to me) handgun or rifle. I don't have many
of those and don't need many but I sure enjoy the ones I have. When I
occasionally pick up a little consulting job, the proceeds go directly
into the toy budget. I really spent very little on Karen's bikelight
because I could piggyback the printed circuit board on a layout for a
consulting gig I had at the time. Incremental cost there was about a
buck, maybe two. Elex parts were maybe 15 bux max, including the
Luxeon, and it was an Xmas present. I made nearly everything else
out of stock I had on hand.

I don't even have a clothing budget. Buy a pair of Levi's and a
flannel shirt at Wally's once in a while.

We retired fixed-income pensioners think of money very differently
from when we had incomes. We don't need much cash flow because we
don't have any debt and we keep it that way. We have all the nest
egg we're ever gonna have and we need to make it last for the
duration, but in fact it's time to be enjoying a little of it now and
then. Otherwise the kids will just give it to the damned democrats,
right? The only type tighter than a Scotsman is a frugal Finnish
engineer. I'm workin' on getting my inner Phrugal Phinn to shut the
hell up once in a while. Goal is for the last one in the house to
check out with no bills and a nickle left.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:36:26 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

wrote:

That was me. I have spent maybe a couple three hundred on flashlights
over the past few years. I do like flashlights, but not enough to
blow the toy budget on 'em. Luxeon III and Luxeon K2 emitters were
only about $6.50 each last I looked.

Oh. That's not nearly as bad as I'd expected, but still pricy. What
about all the tools and such you bought for doing your daughter's LED
bike light, hmmm? You forgot to add those.

I don't think that way. I allocate so much a month that I can spend
on "toys" or "amusements". When it's gone, I'm done for that month.
That includes tools, electronic stuff, shooting stuff, flashlights,
supplies and materials, yada yada. I very rarely buy anything very
expensive (more than $100) anymore because I already have pretty much
all of the major tools and machines I want or have room for. Took a
while, about 40 years while I was working.

I'll ditto the "have room for" concept but I'm still constantly buying
tools for gawd knows what tasks. Even tools specialized for one use
can have many offshoots. I use a weeding tool for hard-to-get-to paint
scraping, f'rinstance. And I haven't come close to stocking the
metalworking side of my shop.

Our newest vehicle is a '97, the others are '95's. They run and look
just fine.

Mine's a '90, soon to be replaced by an '08. My '90 doesn't look fine
but runs like a champ.

Sometimes I "save up" my toy budget for a little while for a medium
ticket item, like a new (to me) handgun or rifle. I don't have many
of those and don't need many but I sure enjoy the ones I have. When I
occasionally pick up a little consulting job, the proceeds go directly
into the toy budget. I really spent very little on Karen's bikelight
because I could piggyback the printed circuit board on a layout for a
consulting gig I had at the time. Incremental cost there was about a
buck, maybe two. Elex parts were maybe 15 bux max, including the
Luxeon, and it was an Xmas present. I made nearly everything else
out of stock I had on hand.

Grok that.

I don't even have a clothing budget. Buy a pair of Levi's and a
flannel shirt at Wally's once in a while.

Um, no comment.

We retired fixed-income pensioners think of money very differently
from when we had incomes. We don't need much cash flow because we
don't have any debt and we keep it that way.

Smart!

We have all the nest
egg we're ever gonna have and we need to make it last for the
duration, but in fact it's time to be enjoying a little of it now and
then. Otherwise the kids will just give it to the damned democrats,
right? The only type tighter than a Scotsman is a frugal Finnish
engineer. I'm workin' on getting my inner Phrugal Phinn to shut the
hell up once in a while. Goal is for the last one in the house to
check out with no bills and a nickle left.

Since your kids are Demonrats, I applaud your line of thinking. Har!

Engineer, eh? Here's one for you:

--snip--
An engineer dies and reports to the Pearly Gates. St. Peter checks
his dossier and says, "Ah, you're an engineer--you're in the wrong
place." So the engineer reports to the gates of hell and is let in.
Pretty soon, the engineer gets dissatisfied with the level of comfort
in hell, and starts designing and building improvements. After a
while, they've got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators,
and the engineer is a pretty popular guy.

One day God calls Satan up on the telephone and says with a sneer,"So,
how's it going down there in hell?" Satan replies, "Hey, things are
going great. We've got air conditioning and flush toilets and
escalators, and there's no telling what this engineer is going to come
up with next." God replies, "What??? You've got an engineer? That's a
mistake --he should never have gotten down there; send him up here."
Satan says,"No way! I like having an engineer on the staff, and I'm
keeping him." God says, "Send him back up here or I'll sue." Satan
laughs uproariously and answers, "Yeah, right. And just where are YOU
going to get a lawyer?"
--snip--

--
Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire
is that which he exercises over himself.
-- Elie Wiesel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

As I wandered through the sporting good section at Wally World the
other day, I broke down and bought the triple LED adaptor for the 2-AA
Mini-Mag. I installed it today after seeing how much light the
beastie put out. Mastech MS 8209 megamultimeter.

The standard Mini-Mag bulb gives 480 Lux at 1 foot with the focus to
tight beam. The NiteIze adaptor gives 2,160 Lux at 1 foot. I could
see (subjectively) a great diffference quite clearly but the
lightmeter (albeit a fairly cheap one, the MM was only $80 or so) gave
it more objectivity.

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Two thumbs up!

--
Instant Gratification Takes Too Long!
-------------------------------------

Was in a Camping store yesterday, and found the Nite Ize stuff there
(first time seen).

$9 for the 3 LED unit. $26 for the Luxeon with the smart switch. OOoof!

$26 seems a bit over the top for an upgrade to a $15 flashlight. JMO

I picked up a 1 watt Chinese made unit from our local equivalent to
Harbour Freight, Princess Auto, for $8. 3AAA cels in a holder for power,
no electronics that I could see.

Seemed an OK buy.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

LED's are electronic.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Trevor Jones wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking