Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Nite-Ize 3-LED Mini-Mag Upgrade

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 01:45:45 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Don
Foreman quickly quoth:

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:11:00 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

As I wandered through the sporting good section at Wally World the
other day, I broke down and bought the triple LED adaptor for the 2-AA
Mini-Mag. I installed it today after seeing how much light the
beastie put out. Mastech MS 8209 megamultimeter.

The standard Mini-Mag bulb gives 480 Lux at 1 foot with the focus to
tight beam. The NiteIze adaptor gives 2,160 Lux at 1 foot. I could
see (subjectively) a great diffference quite clearly but the
lightmeter (albeit a fairly cheap one, the MM was only $80 or so) gave
it more objectivity.

It's definitely a good upgrade for $4.82.

Two thumbs up!

Nice to find a product that satisfies.

Lux at 1 foot is relevant if most of your applications are at 1 foot.
It might be a lot less relevant in some other apps. Lumens is lumens,
spread as useful.

Can't argue with $4.82 if it works fer you.

I tried it in the coat closet yesterday morning and it lit up the
place like a 60W bulb. It should do just fine most places.

Hmm, I just realize it was still dark as hell outside so I took my
upgraded light for a walk around the house. I can see the end of my
driveway (55'), the top of my sweetgum tree (60') and my leanto at the
other side of the yard (150'), so this is definitely better than I had
imagined for a cheap upgrade.

It also lights up the ground better while I walk.

I'm still sold. 2 Thumbs (and another appendage) Up!

-- I'm in touch with my Inner Curmudgeon. --