Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default source for oddball arbor nuts?

I have a great collection of R8 horizontal arbors (for use with a
Bridgeport horizontal milling setup) but 3 of my arbors are missing
the nuts. I'm looking for:

1¼-7 LH
1-8 RH
3/4-10 LH

I'm sure I could get some 12L14 and turn them on the lathe and get
reasonable finish on the threads, but I'd rather buy them and get the
ground threads.

Anyone have a source for stuff like this?

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:
I have a great collection of R8 horizontal arbors (for use with a
Bridgeport horizontal milling setup) but 3 of my arbors are missing
the nuts. I'm looking for:

1¼-7 LH
1-8 RH
3/4-10 LH

I'm sure I could get some 12L14 and turn them on the lathe and get
reasonable finish on the threads, but I'd rather buy them and get the
ground threads.

Anyone have a source for stuff like this?

Grant

Well, these are all standard sizes and even the left hand ones are
listed in the MSC catalog under 'Finished Hex Nuts'. The unfortunate
thing is the purchase quantity required; not to bad for the 1-8 RH but
there's an ouch factor for the LH.

1-8 RH grade 2 plain steel: Price each per 100, 0.55, pkg qty 10
3/4-10 LH plain steel: Price each per 100, 0.67, pkg qty 20
1 1/4-7 LH plain steel: (hold on tight) Price per 100 $8.22, pkg qty 10

What the price each per package quantity is isn't stated, either is if
less than package quantities are available. So, yes, off the shelf but
minimum quantities could be a show stopper. How bad do you want them

Sorry, I don't need any either.

Paul
It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul wrote:

1 1/4-7 LH plain steel: (hold on tight) Price per 100 $8.22, pkg qty 10

Catalog says its $8.22 EACH in 100 quantities, pkg qty 10

Hard to believe but that's what they claim

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:

1 1/4-7 LH plain steel: (hold on tight) Price per 100 $8.22, pkg qty 10

Catalog says its $8.22 EACH in 100 quantities, pkg qty 10

Hard to believe but that's what they claim

Paul

I wound up buying stock hardware nuts locally. They may need to be
trued up but I don't have a toolpost grinder.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul wrote:
... MSC catalog under 'Finished Hex Nuts'. ...

1-8 RH grade 2 plain steel: Price each per 100, 0.55, pkg qty 10
3/4-10 LH plain steel: Price each per 100, 0.67, pkg qty 20
1 1/4-7 LH plain steel: (hold on tight) Price per 100 $8.22, pkg qty 10

You're reading the catalog wrong. 1/2 way down the chart it changes
from "Per 100" to "Price ea"!

HTH,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

You're reading the catalog wrong. 1/2 way down the chart it changes
from "Per 100" to "Price ea"!

HTH,
Bob

Hey Bob

They must have left that detail out of the version I have, the 2006/2007
'Big Book'. The entire column is headed 'price each /100' implying that
lesser quantities will be more per each. Then, to confuse things more
over by the size there is a 'pkg quan' which is indeed 100 for smaller
sizes then progresses down to one's for the largest sizes.

Now I know both of us have been looking stuff up in catalogs for years
so I went on MSC's website and without too much trouble did find all
three and at least there it does tell you the quantity you have to buy
(all three sizes in question are available by 'each')

3/4-10 LH 0.71 ea, 1-8 RH 0.59 ea, and 1-1/4-7 LH $8.67 ea. All grade 2
plain steel. I guess there isn't much call for the last size

Usually I prefer printed catalogs but in this case the website won!

Have a good weekend

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:

I wound up buying stock hardware nuts locally. They may need to be
trued up but I don't have a toolpost grinder.

GWE

Grant

They will probably be fine unless cheapey imports. I live in a fairly
industrialized area and would have been able to walk out of someplace
with the 1-8 RH most likely, but I'll bet the left hands would have
required ordering and a return trip, you have good local sources. Just
for grins, if you don't mind, what did the 1-1/4 7 LH one set you back?

As an aside I can remember trips with my dad to the last genuine
hardware store in our area. They had a two story high wall of shelves
with sliding ladders and little old guys that would climb up and find
what you were after. If they didn't have it they'd send you over to
their wholesale warehouse over on the rough side of town. Going there
was cool because you got to ignore the 'wholesale only' and 'commercial
accounts only' signs, dealing with the clerks across the counter.
Pretty neat for a 10 yr old Both places had the 'real' charge
accounts where you'd just sign the ticket and they'd send a bill at the
end of the month.

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:54:07 -0500, Paul wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

I wound up buying stock hardware nuts locally. They may need to be
trued up but I don't have a toolpost grinder.

GWE

Grant

They will probably be fine unless cheapey imports. I live in a fairly
industrialized area and would have been able to walk out of someplace
with the 1-8 RH most likely, but I'll bet the left hands would have
required ordering and a return trip, you have good local sources. Just
for grins, if you don't mind, what did the 1-1/4 7 LH one set you back?

I thought I needed a 1" LH nut so stopped at Facca Fasteners here. I
opted for the fine (14) thread and two minutes latter I was $8.00
poorer. Now I have done some re design and have a nice paperweight.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada