Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Books on gears

What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at
gears used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement.

No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:

What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at
gears used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement.

No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill work.

To apply them, or to machine them?

To apply them. Cutting will come a bit later.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:14:58 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at
gears used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement.

No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill work.

============
For history/background take a look at
http://lindsaybks.com/bks2/precis/index.html
also
Gear Cutting Practice 20889 $15.95
Reprints so production methods are not current, but good info on
nomenclature, etc. Also Gengry in his "make your own.." series
has info on cutting gears on the cheap.
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/series/index.html
see #1128 at bottom of page.

for making gears in the home shop and a more technical discussion
on, and calculations of both cycloid and involute gears see
http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cut.../dp/0852429118
[also available from many other sources]
FWIW - The workshop series is very good. I don't have all the
books, but all the ones I do have are well worth the money.

The videos from Little machine Shop are also highly recommended
by others on this NG. I have not seen it myself.
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...2057&category=

Let the group know how you make out.
Unka' George [George McDuffee]
============
Merchants have no country.
The mere spot they stand on
does not constitute so strong an attachment
as that from which they draw their gains.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826),
U.S. president. Letter, 17 March 1814.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:
for making gears in the home shop and a more technical discussion
on, and calculations of both cycloid and involute gears see
http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Gear-Cut.../dp/0852429118

Ordered. I had seen that when searching Borders.com, just didn't know if
it was worth it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gear cutting practice - Colvin and Stanley - Lindsay Publications
(1937) Reprint.
I highly suggest you get this even if you find a wonderful college text.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Louis Ohland wrote:

What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at
gears used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement.

No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Practi...Commercial/dp/
1559180889/ref=sr_11_1/104-5714288-0415926?ie=UTF8&qid=1191291279&sr=11-1

or go to amazon books and search for 1559180889 the isbn number
8 used or new - from $11.00.

Louis Ohland wrote:

What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at
gears used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement.

No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Gear cutting practice - Colvin and Stanley - Lindsay Publications
(1937) Reprint.
I highly suggest you get this even if you find a wonderful college text.

Found it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at
gears used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement.

No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill work.

the two best books I've seen and bought on gears are

Machinery's Handbook
expensive but explains all the common standards for gears and gear
cutters ...among a million other things related to machining.

Ivan Law's book 'Gears and gearcutting' published for about $20 aus by
the people who publish Model Engineer in England.
an absolutely clear explanation of the theory and how to go about gear
cutting in a home setup.

Stealth Pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stealth Pilot wrote:
Machinery's Handbook
expensive but explains all the common standards for gears and gear
cutters ...among a million other things related to machining.

I've got #25, it leaves me wanting more.

Ivan Law's book 'Gears and gearcutting' published for about $20 aus by
the people who publish Model Engineer in England.

On order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Perhaps you're looking for engineering design information. If so, try
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Handb.../dp/0071441646.
Expensive and only 10 pages summarizing spur gear application but lots more
coverage of more advanced gearing. Use interlibrary loan.

My old 3rd edition of Spotts, 'Design of Machine Elements' offers 48 pages
on spur gears
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/....x=13& Go.y=7

Boston Gear has a free tech file on gear theory:
http://bostongear.com/pdf/gear_theory.pdf

Wikipedia offers what looks like an extensive discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear

DAGS: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22spur+gears%22 Try modifying
the search with the addition of 'application' or 'installation' or
'adjustment' or whatever it is exactly that you're looking for.

David Merrill

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
news
snip...

I've got #25, it leaves me wanting more.

snip...

On order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:

What books are a good place to start on gears? This is looking at gears
used for positioning mechanisms and rotational movement.

No truck transmissions, just applications useful for lathe and mill work.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Design of Machine Elements, by M.F.Spotts.

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Gear cutting practice - Colvin and Stanley - Lindsay Publications
(1937) Reprint.

Good book, worth the money.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote:

Machinery's Handbook
expensive but explains all the common standards for gears and gear
cutters ...among a million other things related to machining.

I've got #25, it leaves me wanting more.

Ivan Law's book 'Gears and gearcutting' published for about $20 aus by
the people who publish Model Engineer in England.

On order.

See if you can find a used, older edition. Or two or three.

As technology changes, the editors remove some stuff (like
blacksmithing and metal shapers, and add other stuff, like CNC code and
polycristaline coated tools.

As examples, above!

Dunno about your area, but I can find the odd older copy in a used
bookstore for around $20 or sometimes less.

Cheers
Trevor Jones