Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flattening silver wire

I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rolfsing" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

A rolling mill would flatten wire for you (see
http://www.contenti.com/products/rol...s/190-891.html for an example).
Similar to a ring roller except they only have two rollers that are inline.
You could probably make something similar for a lot less than what they
want. I think there are some plans in the drop box for ring rollers that you
could modify to work.
Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rolfsing fired this volley in
oups.com:

I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

If the wire is a soft alloy, I think a stock "Pasta Queen" noodle roller
would suffice.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:35:24 -0700, rolfsing wrote:

I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Hey Rolf,

If you have been using a hammer for effects, then why not get a small
drop hammer or trip hammer, or even a larger one.

Have a peek at:

http://www.littlegianthammer.com/

I didn't do a Google for anything a bit smaller or less money, but I
have seen home-made types at hobby shows, most using about a 3 foot
long lever with an interchangeable "hammer" at one end, lifted and
dropped by an variable speed motor driving some type of cam. The
longer the "lever", the straighter the arc and the "heavier" the blow
is when contact is made.

Take care. Good luck, both with the topic, and with your health.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 20, 11:35 pm, rolfsing wrote:
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Back in the days when I was making jewelery there was a roller made
just for that job. It would be fairly easy for a home machinists to
build. Mine would flatten round wire and take round wire and reshape
it to half-round.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 21, 5:35 am, rolfsing wrote:
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Take a look at Harbor Freight. Not cheap, but likely cheaper than
other places.

4832-0VGA
Cen-Tech MINI ROLLING MILL WITH 5 ROLLERS

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:55:55 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerry quickly quoth:

On Sep 20, 11:35 pm, rolfsing wrote:
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Back in the days when I was making jewelery there was a roller made
just for that job. It would be fairly easy for a home machinists to
build. Mine would flatten round wire and take round wire and reshape
it to half-round.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4832
$189 new (sometimes on half-price sale) or try finding a used on on
eBay.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rolfsing" wrote: (clip) any ideas about how I could flatten wire without
using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I clipped the part about electric flatteners, because my comment doesn't
apply to them. Before you go ahead with any hand-cranked roll setup, I
suggest you set up a hand-cranked food grinder, and find out whether it is
any better for your healing process than a hammer. It uses many of the same
muscles and motions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

If you get a roller like that make sure that you never try and put
anything harder than the rolls through it.

I've never forgotten how stupid I felt when, about 60 years ago while
hanging around my dad's jewelery factory, I tried to flatten a jeweler's
saw blade in the shop's hand cranked rolling mill. Why? I dunno...Just
because...

All it did to the blade was put a sideways curl in it, but it screwed up
the rolls so that the next time someone used them to reduce the
thickness of some metal it came out with a debossed image of that saw
blade on its surface.

IIRC it took a trip to a local machine shop to have the rolls smoothed.

Sorry again, Dad.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rolfsing wrote:
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

The gang over at rec.crafts.jewelry may be able to offer some other
creative solutions. Try posting there (if you haven't already.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd add my vote for the Harbor Freight roller. I bought one a couple
of years ago, and it works as advertised for soft metals. You still
have to be able to turn the crank, but you won't get the percussion
effects that you got from hammering.
I could flatten about one foot of 14 ga copper wire into a ribbon
about 6 feet long and less than 1/4" wide and maybe 0.005" thick in 3
passes within about 2 minutes. In blacksmithing, we would call this
"fullering" since we lengthen the work, but don't widen it much. If you
want move the metal equally in all directions, this isn't for you.
The tool costs about $190 new and comes with 3 or 4 embossing dies
which may be of interest to you.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------------

rolfsing wrote:
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

"rolfsing" wrote: (clip) any ideas about how I could flatten wire without
using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I clipped the part about electric flatteners, because my comment doesn't
apply to them. Before you go ahead with any hand-cranked roll setup, I
suggest you set up a hand-cranked food grinder, and find out whether it is
any better for your healing process than a hammer. It uses many of the same
muscles and motions.

And if that is a problem, you could try their planishing hammer. You
would probably want to reduce the air pressure, but you would still
end up with hammer marks, if that is the effect you want.
jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul wrote:

"rolfsing" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

A rolling mill would flatten wire for you (see
http://www.contenti.com/products/rol...s/190-891.html for an example).
Similar to a ring roller except they only have two rollers that are inline.
You could probably make something similar for a lot less than what they
want. I think there are some plans in the drop box for ring rollers that you
could modify to work.
Paul

You can find a nice set of rollers in larger copiers, with a gear to
drive one of them. I am converting a set to crush the insulation on
scrap copper wire. The motor used in the copier runs too fast, but a
gear reduction or a few pulleys and drive belts would slow it down,
without a VFD.

Old copiers are usually available, free for the asking.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rolfsing" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Why aren't you getting flat wire to begin with? Hammering or
putting wire through a rolling mill is going to work harden it
and probably needs to be annealed. There are power pullers
used with draw plates which is another solution to consider,
but work hardening issues remain. Unless your goal is to
change the profile of the wire AND make it harder.

Of course if you have a lifetime supply of wire, I can see your
desire to use what you've got rather than spend for the ever
increasing costs of silver.

Rod