Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Flattening silver wire

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:55:55 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerry quickly quoth:

On Sep 20, 11:35 pm, rolfsing wrote:
I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Back in the days when I was making jewelery there was a roller made
just for that job. It would be fairly easy for a home machinists to
build. Mine would flatten round wire and take round wire and reshape
it to half-round.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4832
$189 new (sometimes on half-price sale) or try finding a used on on
eBay.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following