Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Flattening silver wire

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:35:24 -0700, rolfsing wrote:

I've been making simple stuff for years, hammering away at 16-20 guage
silver wire. I've got a neck injury now and every time I pick up the
hammer, I set myself back about 2 months in my healing. I hate to give
up my jewelry making - any ideas about how I could flatten wire
without using a hammer? Are there any hand cranked tools or electric
flatteners that aren't for industrial use?
thanks in advance... !

Hey Rolf,

If you have been using a hammer for effects, then why not get a small
drop hammer or trip hammer, or even a larger one.

Have a peek at:

http://www.littlegianthammer.com/

I didn't do a Google for anything a bit smaller or less money, but I
have seen home-made types at hobby shows, most using about a 3 foot
long lever with an interchangeable "hammer" at one end, lifted and
dropped by an variable speed motor driving some type of cam. The
longer the "lever", the straighter the arc and the "heavier" the blow
is when contact is made.

Take care. Good luck, both with the topic, and with your health.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.