Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Linear bearings help?

I am making a sliding art piece. I need to have 4 linear bearings
that will slide on two pieces of stainless steel (horizontally). I am
not sure the best place to buy linear bearings, AND I don;'t want to
end up buying the bearings and find out that I can't find the
stainless steel rods that fit exactly. Is there standards for linear
bearings?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David D" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am making a sliding art piece. I need to have 4 linear bearings
that will slide on two pieces of stainless steel (horizontally). I am
not sure the best place to buy linear bearings, AND I don;'t want to
end up buying the bearings and find out that I can't find the
stainless steel rods that fit exactly. Is there standards for linear
bearings?

Go to ebay and search linear bearings. You will likely see what you need.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 04:53:53 -0700, David D wrote:

I am making a sliding art piece. I need to have 4 linear bearings
that will slide on two pieces of stainless steel (horizontally). I am
not sure the best place to buy linear bearings, AND I don;'t want to
end up buying the bearings and find out that I can't find the
stainless steel rods that fit exactly. Is there standards for linear
bearings?

You can buy them as a set from any of your bearing distributors
(Motion Industries, Applied Industrial Technologies, Kaman or a number
of independents depending on where you live). You might find them
cheaper on eBay and get lucky with the length of the shaft. I bought
some once with longer shafts than I needed then cut them to size but
wrap the bearings well to make sure no contamination gets in and do
not remove them as many types will fall apart if removed from the
shaft. There are styles that don't do that but be sure before you take
them off or you'll have little balls everywhere.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"tom (REMOVE) (Tom)" wrote in message
t...
[...]

My old girlfriend said her mother once told her something like that about
panties.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 17, 7:53 am, David D wrote:
I am making a sliding art piece. I need to have 4 linear bearings
that will slide on two pieces of stainless steel (horizontally). I am
not sure the best place to buy linear bearings, AND I don;'t want to
end up buying the bearings and find out that I can't find the
stainless steel rods that fit exactly. Is there standards for linear
bearings?

I have purchased "reasonable" quality/price bearings (and the shafts)
from http://www.vbx.com The also sell on eBay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David D wrote in news:1190030033.883195.191110@
57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

I am making a sliding art piece. I need to have 4 linear bearings
that will slide on two pieces of stainless steel (horizontally). I am
not sure the best place to buy linear bearings, AND I don;'t want to
end up buying the bearings and find out that I can't find the
stainless steel rods that fit exactly. Is there standards for linear
bearings?

Yes.

Try Misumi USA. Good prices, good delivery, excellet product. You want to
open the Automation Components catalog.

http://www.misumiusa.com

--
Anthony