Proctologically Violated©®

Default Linear bearings--putting a slot in?

Awl--

I'm only vaguely familiar w/ linear bearings.
Would like to know if you think it would be possible to put a slot
lengthwise in a linear bearing without overly altering its function. Say, a
1/8" wide by 1/2" long slot on a bearing that's about 1.25" long, 1" OD.
I'm about to buy one, but they aren't so cheap, so I'd like to know in
advance if I'll be spitting in the wind here.
TIA.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Roger Shoaf

You can buy these linear bearings with the slot already there. Talk to the
guys at the bearing house they will show you.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

I'm only vaguely familiar w/ linear bearings.
Would like to know if you think it would be possible to put a slot
lengthwise in a linear bearing without overly altering its function. Say,

1/8" wide by 1/2" long slot on a bearing that's about 1.25" long, 1" OD.
I'm about to buy one, but they aren't so cheap, so I'd like to know in
advance if I'll be spitting in the wind here.
TIA.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

rigger

I suppose it depends on the bearing. I know Anderson, and I believe
Nacci bearings come in different configurations; both solid shell and
open sided (to allow passing a mounting post or stand-off). This said
both models use the same "core", which actually holds the balls and
tracks, which can be swapped from one model to another. This indicates
merely having an opening the length of the bearing is not relevant. On
the other hand if there is some residual tension in the metal and you
cut it it may open-up more than you wish and not hold the core tightly.

dennis
in nca

They come open also and there's usually a good selection on ebay if you
can stand that game. Yeah they are spendy but kept fairly clean and in
spec loadwise they last a long long time.

Gunner

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:40:40 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Awl--

I'm only vaguely familiar w/ linear bearings.
Would like to know if you think it would be possible to put a slot
lengthwise in a linear bearing without overly altering its function. Say, a
1/8" wide by 1/2" long slot on a bearing that's about 1.25" long, 1" OD.
I'm about to buy one, but they aren't so cheap, so I'd like to know in
advance if I'll be spitting in the wind here.
TIA.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Most of them, are harder than a whores heart. You may have to slot
with EDM

Gunner

Proctologically Violated©®

Not the guys at my local bearing house!
Do you know of a place in particular, or what these style bearings might be
called?
Thanks.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
[...]

rigger

Not the guys at my local bearing house!
Do you know of a place in particular, or what these style bearings might be
called?

I believe the general term is "recirculating ball linear bearing".
Maybe check with another bearing house in your area?

dennis
in nca