Default Help on linear bearings

larry g wrote:
George
We use a lot of the Frelon, Simplicity. bearings. Used a lot on our
automation equipment and they do quite well on oscillating equipment.

In
most cases I would select them over a Thompson ball bearing. I say

this
because when a Thompson fails it usually tales the shaft with it, the

Frelon
doesn't. If you read the information from Simplicity you discover

that you
can run these bearing dry or lubed. In most cases lubed gets a lot

longer
life. I've used Velocite #6 with good results. If designing these in

system really consider the use of the self aligning feature. This is

an
oversized hole to mount in and then using an o-ring in the groves

around the
bearing. Another advantage to the Simplicity bearing is the ability

rotate the shaft as well as linier motion.

lg
no neat sig line.

"George G." wrote in message
I posted last night and it got pushed back to 601-700 posting with

no
response. I asked if anyone has had any experience with the

Teflon,
Frelon self-lubricating linear bearings? Are they as good if not

better
than metal linear bearings? I may have to go this one alone.

Thank
you. George G.

"George G." wrote in message
I posted last night and it got pushed back to 601-700 posting with

no
response. I asked if anyone has had any experience with the

Teflon,
Frelon self-lubricating linear bearings? Are they as good if not

better
than metal linear bearings? I may have to go this one alone.

Thank
you. George G.

George,

My name is Mike Quinn and I am the Marketing Director for LM76 Linear
Motion Bearings - www.lm76.com. LM76 invented the first drop-in
replacement for Thomson Ball Bushings in 1976. Our Minuteman Teflon
Composite linear motion bearings offer the highest load rating, highest
running speed and lowest coefficient of friction of any Teflon
Composite made today. Larry is quite correct in recommending a teflon
Composite for applications which require rapid oscillation. Thomson
Ball bushings fail because the balls do not get an opportunity to fully
recirculate - you end up using the same balls over and over again.
Also, the balls begin to rack leading to mechanical failure and
brinelling ( grooving of the shaft ). This was LM76's first application
in 76 and Thomson recommended us to their customer!

Concerning lubrication. Yes...you can run dry or with a lubricant. The
obvious rational for a Teflon Composite is to be lube free. If you can
lube, our "original" Ceramic Coated bearing is the first choice. ( see
our web site )

LM76 Minuteman Self Lube Bearings excel in the following applications:

Rapid Oscillation
Contamination
High Loads ( 10x's higher than a comparable ball bushing )
Smooth, quiet operation ( no noise and no vibration )
Wash Down
Linear and Rotary Motion in one bearing

Keep in mind that Thomson ball Bushings will always have a meaningful
lower coeffient of friction ( .0015 - .015 as opposed to Teflon
Composite .09 - 1.5 )
If you can lubricate, our Ceramic Coated bearing is ideal ( .04-.08 ).

Moreover, sleeve bearings are less forgiving with regard to shaft
alignment - Ball Bushings are more compliant - particularly in a
vertical axis. Thus, a self aligning bearing may be the best option.
Sleeve bearings require greater spacing of the shafts and distance
between bearings on one shaft when moment loads are applied.

If you have any questions I can answer, please feel free to call me at
1-800-513-3163.

Best regards, Mike Quinn

Larry Jaques

On 7 Dec 2004 16:02:21 -0800, calmly ranted:

-snip-

George,

My name is Mike Quinn and I am the Marketing Director for LM76 Linear
Motion Bearings -
www.lm76.com. LM76 invented the first drop-in
replacement for Thomson Ball Bushings in 1976. Our Minuteman Teflon
Composite linear motion bearings offer the highest load rating, highest
running speed and lowest coefficient of friction of any Teflon
Composite made today. Larry is quite correct in recommending a teflon
Composite for applications which require rapid oscillation. Thomson
Ball bushings fail because the balls do not get an opportunity to fully
recirculate - you end up using the same balls over and over again.
Also, the balls begin to rack leading to mechanical failure and
brinelling ( grooving of the shaft ). This was LM76's first application
in 76 and Thomson recommended us to their customer!

Hi, Mike.

I'm another Larry with another question about linear bearings.
I have a need for some in a (wood) dusty environment. Movement
will be slow (roughly 2-6" in 10-20 seconds, weight up to 100
pounds (split between the 4 bearings), and the shafts will probably
be 3/4". Do you have an inexpensive bearing for this application, or
would something like UHMW-PE work without too much wear? Rate will be
low, definitely under 800 cycles per day.

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Larry, you may want to look into LM76 Linear Motion Bearings.
www.lm76.com They invented the first drop-in replacement for Thomson
Ball Bushings in 1976. Moreover, they have a wider variety of bearing
models and their mechanicals exceed all of the Frelon grades: regular
freelon and freelon gold.

Mike Q

Larry,

I suspect that you will want to use standard pillow block mounting -
correct? If so, we can give you pretty good pricing on both the
bearings and the shafting. If you have a housing that you are going to
press the bearings into, then you could use a standard Rulon bearing
which will run dry and provide an excellent coefficient of friction -
we have them in stock. You could use UHMW, but you would have to
machine it to the correct tolerances - all said and done a standard
Rulon LR should do the job. You will have to use standard RC60
shafting. Regards, Mike Quinn www.lm76.com 800-513-3163